Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: [SHAME] Avira partners with Ask.com, Uniblue  (Read 11807 times)

truenorth

Guru

Re: [SHAME] Avira partners with Ask.com, Uniblue
    « Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 08:07:54 AM »
    It only occurred to me after my last post re soybean's question (this aging delayed memory thing) that on the same computer where the updates for Avira and Opera are currently installed that i also have IE 6 on it. So this morning i had a look at the scrolling on IE6. There is a definite difference. If i turn just one tick on Opera it can jump 3-4 paragraphs up or down. Whereas in IE 6 the movement would be appropriate to the one tick move of the next item up/down. To compare the Avira toolbar difference on IE 6 versus Opera is as i have already stated the toolbar is not visible in Opera (it is accessed by a drop down menu). Whereas in IE 6 it has created an actual additional toolbar all related to a new search engine and a monitor of Avira Guard and Webguard status. It is a full width toolbar going from one side of the screen to the other (as opposed to being combined with an existing toolbar). I do believe one can delete(disable) the Avira toolbar but doing so will also disable webguard (not a desirable event). truenorth

pantherman

Hopeful
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 03:17:59 AM »
      Question from an ignorant one.  :-\
      As I at present use AVIRA and have not accepted the toolbar, so have webguard disabled, would it be safer/better to switch to AVAST or AVG? I originally switch to AVIRA some years ago after some problems with AVG.  ???

Windows 7 Premium.
      COMODO
      Spyware Blaster
      Winpatrol

PS
      If I should have posted this elsewhere please move it, but thought other unenlightened readers reading the post might have similar thoughts?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 11:46:55 AM »
        pantherman, If you don't mind i shall take a bit of liberty with your post (question) . You do not mention your browser (which in my experience would affect MY decision).If perchance you are using Opera or believe you would not be adverse to trying it. Then as i stated the Webguard and associated search engine toolbar that it creates is not a problem. The only other browser i am in a position to comment on re the choices is IE6 and that is referenced in my earlier post.I suppose within the narrow parameters of your own proposed choices i would chose Avast over AVG. truenorth
        P.S. One choice i would absolutely be against would be to use Avira without Webguard.

pantherman

Hopeful
          « Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:16:44 PM »
          Thanks for that Truenorth.
          I use Firefox 5.0.
          I should have mentioned that, but also have, but rarely use, Opera.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
          AVG-Free works fine with FF5.0, performance on my computer is the same as with Avira.

pantherman

Hopeful
            « Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
            Thanks for the replies. I am giving AVG a try.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »
            Now a word from out sponsor....
            Avira presents a FREE data recovery rescue CD
            Boot safely without needing to update the virus definition file
            aywatch lifeguard with the red umbrella: All PC users can equip themselves with a free Rescue System on the website of the German IT security expert Avira. The emergency program enables access to PCs that cannot be started anymore due to a disk crash. The software runs on all modern computer systems and supports current hard drive technology. Write access to all NTFS partitions allows users to perform their own data recovery . The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is permanently updated with the state-of-the-art detection samples and can be downloaded

http://www.avira.com/en/press-details/nid/310/news/rescue+cd+
            Yes, I am joking.They did not  sponsor any of this

This is to point out that Alvira does have something to offer that is FREE and very handy to have in your tool box. Unlike some others, does not require internet to do its job. Works great! Try it next time a virus stops your  PC. Or even it it was not a virus.