Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP - Limited account users cant access internet  (Read 4889 times)

Tim Clarke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows XP - Limited account users cant access internet
    « on: July 08, 2011, 05:06:48 AM »
    I am running Windows XP with an administrator account.  I recently downloaded Google chrome and set it as my default browser however I can't figure out how to allow access to it for other account users on the same PC.
    « Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:39:24 AM by Tim Clarke »

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Windows XP - Limited account users cant access internet
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:30:17 AM »
    Chrome is installed in C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe, which causes problems with application limitation in restricted user accounts.

You would have to install Chrome on the user's account, then allow an exception for the Chrome program to function with the Windows admin account.

Source: http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/764929-solved-google-chrome-xp-limited.html
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Tim Clarke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 06:55:46 AM »
      Thanks for that info but being a bit of a novice; when you say install it on the users account and allow exceptions, how do I do that?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:14:23 AM »
      Running the chrome installer while logged onto the limited user account and chrome should work.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Tim Clarke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 07:27:28 AM »
        What and where is the Chrome Installer?  Don't forget I cant access the Chrome folder from the other user account.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:32:14 AM »
        Sorry for not being clear on my instructions.
        The Chrome installation is unique to users-it installs into the Local Settings folder of a user, so you should log into the limited user account, go to chrome.google.com, download chrome, and install chrome.

Tim Clarke

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:42:47 AM »
          Your being really helpful Transfusion but it seems like one step forward two back............I can't connect to the internet via the other users account. If I try to connect using the old internet connection icon on the desktop (tiscali) it comes up with error message 797.  This may be because I have moved house and changed the internet setup (now through a router) since the other users account was last used, maybe? I don't know.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 09:16:42 AM »
          Through a router? that means the original connection required you to manually enter a username/password for a broadband connection(DSL connection).

Error 797: The connection failed because the modem or other connecting device failed. Please make sure that the modem or other connecting device is installed.

from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317222

most likely your router is already dialing up the connection for you-it would be helpful if you provided the make and model of your router so we can help you get your computer on the internet if it is not already. I hope that you are not confusing router and modem though.

That means you should try installing google chrome from internet explorer, or downloading the google chrome installation file on another pc, putting it onto a usb drive, then plugging it into your pc while you are in your limited access account.