Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remotely determine amount of RAM in a system  (Read 2321 times)

dworley

Topic Starter

Beginner

Remotely determine amount of RAM in a system
    « on: July 08, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »
    I am running Windows 7 Enterprise in a Domain environment, and would like to remotely determine the amount of RAM in client workstations. I need to do this unobtrusively (I would like to avoid disrupting the users, but don't need to hide my steps or presence). There are about 100 workstations.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    -darryl

(this seemed like the best place for the post, but perhaps it should have been somewhere in microsoft/windows. sorry.)
    Have you forgotten?

dworley

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Remotely determine amount of RAM in a system
      « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
      Found it: http://system-admin.livejournal.com/2867.html

Use the command: Get-WmiObject -computerName COMPNAME -class Win32_ComputerSystem

(Replace COMPNAME with the computer you want to check.) It will show you a little more than just the amount of memory installed, but that will be one of the members it returns.

Thanks anyway folks!
      -darryl
      Have you forgotten?

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »
      Thank you for posting the solution that you found.  I'm also happy to hear that you did get it sorted out.
      Evil is an exact science.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 03:17:56 AM »
      dworley's command is for Powershell, and to use that from a batch script see below... as before replace COMPNAME with the computer you want to check. Or use a variable.

Code: [Select]
      for /f "tokens=1-2 delims=: " %%A in ( ' powershell -Command Get-WmiObject -computerName COMPNAME -class Win32_ComputerSystem ^| find "TotalPhysicalMemory" ' ) do echo Computer COMPNAME has %%B bytes RAM
      « Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 03:34:58 AM by Salmon Trout »