Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What exactly does disk check do?  (Read 2600 times)

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    What exactly does disk check do?
    « on: July 12, 2011, 04:29:40 AM »
    I was wondering what exactly disk check does and how it helps the computer. I would also like too know what triggers these cause I have had more  than an few on the time with my computer. Also if you get them will the harm you computer in any way?

reddevilggg

Expert

Re: What exactly does disk check do?
    « Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:21:27 AM »

I was wondering what exactly disk check does and how it helps the computer.
    Basically, it checks the disk for errors and repairs them, if it can.

I would also like too know what triggers these cause I have had more  than an few on the time with my computer.
    Hard drives aren't perfect and will not last for ever. Dust can get in and damage a sector. Smoking around your PC will increase this risk. High humidity will not help. Heavy machinery can affect hard drives.

Also if you get them will the harm you computer in any way?
    If the damage is done to a sector where inforamtion is stored, there may be a problem. Having a good back-up strategy is paramount.

Read here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187941
    11 cheers for binary !

18carNASCAR

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:15:53 AM »
      Thank you for the information. I back up all important and personal files on a USB flashdrive. So I think that I am ok with the backup plan. But I never run my computer while smoking (cause I dont smoke) and rarely ever in high humidity cause I mainly run it in a air conditioned house

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:23:12 AM »
      Dust can get in and damage a sector. Smoking around your PC will increase this risk. High humidity will not help.
      the only way either dust or smoke particles will increase the risk of HD failure would be if the dust filter covering the "breathing" hole of the drive is damaged. In which case the drive is pretty much screwed anyway. Dust and smoke will decrease the effectiveness of case fans if not taken care of, which can increase the overall temperature and failure rate of everything, though.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.