Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shuts off inadvertently  (Read 2353 times)

firebowl58

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer shuts off inadvertently
    « on: July 12, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »
    I have a computer with an  AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual  Core Processor 6000+, 3.10 GHz with 1.75 GB RAM. The computer is less than 1 year old and has worked fine until about one month ago when it started to shut off inadvertently with no warning. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to get it fired back up. The computer is well ventilated and has 5 internal fans cooling it. I use Windows XP with Service Pack 3. I am currently using Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection, (just recently installed, previously used Avira). I also use Superantispyware and Spybot for spyware problems. I also use Zone Alert for a firewall.

Another problem I have been having is the time for a seconf window to load up. If I am in a program and hit a link to bring up another window it seems to take forever. I am on cable so there shouldn't be and issue with speed. I didn't have this problem until about 3 months ago.

What can do or what is the problem with the computer? I have used Computer Hope in the past and have always been satisfied with the help I receive. Thanks in advance for your help.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer shuts off inadvertently
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:10 AM »
    Having 5 Fans installed does not guarantee that you are not going to have any thermal issues. Especially how air circulates in and out, so might as well check any temps going high. You might wanna recall any recent changes, updates to hardware and software you have added that can give you sudden shutdown or lagging. Any corrupted, incompatible programs, protection softwares installed might also cause this. So uninstalling some and using basic protection antivirus and windows firewall will help you trim down the problem. You could also try running into Safemode to check on the problem and try look for reinstalling and or updating drivers for certain fixes address to your issue. Testing RAM modules by using one alternately on slots while booting can also help in troubleshooting the shutdown problem. You could also use chkdsk /r for any system error and will try to repair them using your XP CD.

firebowl58

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
      OK, your suggestions are fine, but you did not include how to accomplish these tests. Which test should I do first, followed by what next, etc?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:31:22 AM »
      Donwload and install HWMonitor and or SpeedFan to check on your hardware temperature.
      http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.htmlYou
      http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
      You could also cross-reference temp. readings. Post the output.

You might wanna recall any recent changes, updates to hardware and software you have added that can give you sudden shutdown or lagging
      uninstalling some and using basic protection antivirus and windows firewall will help you trim down the problem