Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Floppy 3-1/2" drive not sure if it works?  (Read 2248 times)

blonde-pianist

Floppy 3-1/2" drive not sure if it works?
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
I have just installed a floppy drive hardware in my p4asus800 computer and have only plugged the
power connector in place (small white plastic one) and not the comm ribbon. I was wondering if I hook everything up that the led will come on and let me know it's working. I have windows xp and don't know what to do from here..... please help me!   thanks lydia

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Floppy 3-1/2" drive not sure if it works?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:41:09 PM »
If the drive is working properly, it will spin when you first turn on the computer. If the Floppy is set as then fist boot device, it will try to read from a diskette in the drive. If not diskette present, it will boot for the next available device.
If hyou have a formatted diskette in the floppy but no actual operating system. the boot loader with say:
NTLDR is missing...crunch any key.
Or some similar message. It means then drive is working. A floppy that does not work right may cause the computer to hang on boot.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Floppy 3-1/2" drive not sure if it works?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »
Also if the light is on all the time, that means the ribbon cable is in upside down.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.