Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Has Steam ruined my internet speed?  (Read 5310 times)

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Has Steam ruined my internet speed?
    « on: July 09, 2011, 05:28:37 AM »
    I don't know if Steam is to blame, and I've mentioned my connection speed in the network thread, but I'd like to mention it here as it may be a case for the game experts instead and I really need help!

I installed Steam a week or so ago and downloaded Champions Online. It took about four hours to download the game, which I kind of expected. A week of playing the game and everything was fiine, until the game wanted to download its latest patch. Since then my internet speed has slowed to a crawl, everything takes forever. I've done a test and it seems my download speed has slowed to 352 kilobits (not kilobytes) per second. So I've been unable to download the patch because it would take so long. Last time I tried, it managed 1% in just under an hour. As much as I enjoyed the game it's not worth waiting a hundred *censored* hours for!

Not only that, my internet is super slow even want not opening Steam or trying to download the patch.

Please help me, it's driving me mad!  >:(

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Has Steam ruined my internet speed?
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »
    I don't really know too much about steam because I usually try to avoid getting games that require it.

Try completely closing steam (if your not sure it is fully closed), just turn off that computer. Access the internet through another computer to see if the speed has increased. If not, then the problem probably resides with your ISP (internet service provider). You should probably give them a call.

EDIT: You don't happen to be using satellite internet, do you?
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:51:03 AM »
      It's not satellite, no.

I tried the internet through another computer but no luck.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »
      If you're having the same issue on a computer that doesn't have Steam installed, it's neither Steam nor the computers. I'd start looking at making sure your router/modem is configured correctly and see if your ISP can shed some light on what might be causing the slowdown.

Steve M

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:32:32 AM »
        Thanks for your replies. By the comments I've had here and on other forums it's looking like my problems are something to do with my ISP. I'll try and find out if that's the case.

Tokkulmann

Rookie

• Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
        If I recall correctly, Steam employs some form of P2P file transfer which uses BitTorrent at its core. Some ISPs like to throttle your speeds if they detect torrents. It could also have something to do with downloading during peak hours, either for your ISP or Steam's content servers.

Here's a suggestion: Within Steam in the top menu, go to Settings (I think it's under one of the drop-downs, can't remember off the top of my head). Switch over to the Downloads + SteamCloud Tab. Change your local download area or whatever they refer to it as to Ukraine, Poland, or some other semi-obscure European country.

Stresses on these servers are often much lower than NA and bigger EU countries. My friend has experienced a jump from 300-400 kB/s to around 2 MB/s switching from Toronto to Ukraine.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
        If I recall correctly, Steam employs some form of P2P file transfer which uses BitTorrent at its core.
        I doubt it to be honest. Steam was one of the first companies to really use cloud computing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:37:24 PM »
        Steam does not nor has ever used P2P. Downloads come from their servers, not from other users of Steam.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.