Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory read/write failure  (Read 3642 times)

Diatech

Topic Starter

Rookie

• who, me?
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Memory read/write failure
« on: July 17, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
Hello CH,

I have a Dell Inspiron D620 Laptop that is not POSTing. At boot, the Dell splash / loading screen appears for a split second, and loads about 1/8 of the bar before displaying a black screen with white text:

Code: [Select]
Memory read/write failure at [ADDRESS]. read [ADDRESS] expecting [ADDRESS].
To resolve this issue, try reseating the memory.

*The address is always the same, I believe. If its relevant I could get the specific address.

• I have no access to BIOS, or to boot from CD.
  • I have tried booting without the hard drive installed.
  • I have tried reseating the RAM.
  • I have tried booting with a different RAM module pulled from a working laptop.

I have taken apart the laptop and have found no obvious signs of damage, etc.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Thanks,
Diatech

P.S. There are no audible beep codes coinsiding with the error, and I only have one DIMM installed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:37:46 PM by Diatech »

Salmon Trout

Re: Memory read/write failure
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
Damage may be invisible to the naked eye. If you have tried 2 different RAM modules and you are getting the same message, it is possible that the motherboard itself is faulty. You could take it to a repair company and get an estimate of the likely repair bill but you may feel you should consider how much you want to spend on a laptop which is not new (it was being reviewed in March 2006). If it has files you need you can remove the disk and put it in a USB enclosure.