Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor Problems -> Slower Computer. Help!  (Read 2162 times)

Elitewarriors

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Processor Problems -> Slower Computer. Help!
    « on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
    I've been having a few problems with my processor for about a year and it started with how it's connected to the motherboard. It started about a year ago when I moved to University, during the move I guess one of the prongs to my processor's heat sink / fan or whatever it is, (I7 processor) and can no longer lock in properly.

Due to this, in order for the heat sink to do it's job, my box has to rest against he ground horizontally so that the motherboard lies flat on the ground, and the heat sink lies flat above the processor instead of the typical vertical. I've quite often had problems when starting up my computer that it'll tell me my processor is overheating and the computer would shut down.

More recently, every time I go to start up my computer I get the exact same error message for the processor is over heating, but now it doesn't shut down any more and allows me to by-pass the problem and start the computer up. I wonder if my processor is getting worse and worse.

One thing that i've noticed recently is that listening to audio for example will be like "And be a jukebox hero, got stars in his --BZZZZZT-- eyes." The audio doesn't do it alone, the computer also lags at the same time.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Processor Problems -> Slower Computer. Help!
    « Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:03:39 PM »
    Heat sink must lock securely or it will overheat.  It's like running your car without coolant, it will overheat & die.  If you choose to ignore the warning signs, that's your business.

Elitewarriors

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
      I just had a friend log on who was suggesting that my lack of consistent slowness isn't my processor and it was instead my RAM because it's more of a kinda random problem that lacks consistency. I'm going to attempt his fix which is to take them out one by one and restarting every time to see if it's a module problem.

Elitewarriors

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »
        Yeah, first stick of ram that I took out seems to have fixed the problem. Thank goodness!

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 01:18:42 AM »
        Heat sink must lock securely or it will overheat.

Correct! And there should be a thermal compound/paste between your CPU and heat sink before you lock it.