Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer stutters and produces buzzing sound under load  (Read 3742 times)

klifford

Computer stutters and produces buzzing sound under load
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:22:35 PM »
Hi all,

About a week ago I began to notice that under load (playing resource intensive games, CAD, full HD video playback, running multiple VMs) the system stutters every 5-10 seconds for about a second and a buzzing sound comes through the speakers which will interrupt any music or other sounds playing.  A few times it also seems this will also happen momentarily if the system is trying to multitask.  Prior to this, it ran fine for months since I built it.  Resource Monitor doesn't show any spikes in any equipment during stutters and SMART statuses are all good.

Initially, I was concerned about display drivers, but after re-installing twice from different sources, the problem continues.  Given the heat we've been having here I thought something might be running too hot, but SpeedFan says otherwise.  I opened the case and dusted everything to be sure.  As there was still no change I considered that the problem may in the power supply, as I've heard of similar symptoms occurring with failing PSU.  Switched to a known good PSU and I'm still experiencing the same problem in the same circumstances.

I'm hoping I can get a little input before I'm forced to completely troubleshoot everything.  I haven't installed anything or made any significant changes to software in the last week, so I'm inclined to believe it's a hardware problem.

-klifford

This system:
CPU:               Intel i5 650 (2 cores, 3.2Ghz, HT)
Motherboard:   Biostar TH55B HD
RAM:               4GB 1333MHz DDR3
Graphics:         nVidia GeForce 460 SE (driver version 275.33)
HDD:               WD Caviar Black 500GB
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 06:52:19 PM by klifford »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Computer stutters and produces buzzing sound under load
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
You already did the most obvious thing. Next try a different graphics cad, You may find the buzzing noise is from the graphics card.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer stutters and produces buzzing sound under load
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:25 AM »
I've heard of similar symptoms occurring with failing PSU
Try borrowing or using a greater wattage PSU. It could either be on the driver, processor or power supply.