Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't start up from XP partiton because of Windows 7 (I think)  (Read 3276 times)

jacksonc

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hi,

I am sure there is a simple fix for something like this, and I am not sure if this is the right place to put it.
    Here it goes:
    I created 2 partitions (excluding the recovery/bios partition) on my Compaq 615's 160GB 7200RPM, one for Windows XP (I installed this first) and one for Windows 7.  I could boot up into Windows XP (even throw its drive name was E not C [if that has anything to do with it]) and I could tell it recognised the other partition as it came up with the screen asking you to select a partition. (Originally I had left my previous windows 7 version on the other partition, windows XP recognised this)  I then formatted the old windows 7 partition and installed a new windows 7 professional onto it.  I now get NO indication that there is any other partition, it just boots straight to the new windows 7.  I went on to the Start up and Recovery settings under the Advanced tab in the System Properties windows in windows 7 professional and found that it only had one operating system in the highlighted box but also made sure that if any others were found, that it gave me 30 seconds for me to chose.  I then restarted and it still booted straight to 7 with no options, I pressed F8 (something told me this could work) but it did not, I tried to use the BIOS to boot to E drive, but it only has one option, boot to notebook hard drive.

Any information/help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Jackson C

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't start up from XP partiton because of Windows 7 (I think)
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
    Win7 boot loader is different from WinXP.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Note: if you want to restore Windows XP back to the menu, you can open up a command prompt in Windows 7 and run this command:

bcdedit /create {ntldr} -d “Windows XP”

Whatever you do may break the link to the Compaq Recovery Partition, accessible from F10 at startup.