Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unknown black desktop, empty programs folder, cannot sys restore.  (Read 4447 times)

Rigum

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    About half an hour ago my sister got a virus that Avira Anti Personal (free addition) caught, which she deleted when given the various options. She said the pop-ups kept coming, then computer crashed.

She forced restart/powerdown and got to a black/empty desktop with some icons blocked in bottom right, and quicklaunch icons gone.

Start menu shows empty when selecting program.

So i restarted into safe mode and had the same issue - empty program folder in start up, and I tried to do a system restore in safe mode but nothing happened.

She remembers nothing about the virus name and claims to have just been surfing when the virus detection popups/crash occured.

Please advise,
    Thank you

Rigum

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Unknown black desktop, empty programs folder, cannot sys restore.
      « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
      Sorry I forgot to mention

Since i am unable to view programs (in safemode as well) I am not sure how to access my maleware or anti virus programs.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: Unknown black desktop, empty programs folder, cannot sys restore.
      « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 12:14:28 PM »
      Unhide.exe (http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe) should restore the missing info, but I suggest you post all logs for our malware expert to examine. Please follow the instructions in the following link and post your logs:
      http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html