Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard disc disappears?  (Read 2103 times)

barney.vorster

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hard disc disappears?
    « on: August 12, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »
    I recently added a new hard disc to my pc. Old one is 500G and new one is 1 Terrabyte. If i open the device menu, it shows the new device, but after a while it disappears from the menu. I had a 2nd opinion about the installation and that is not the problem. Any help?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Hard disc disappears?
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:36:26 AM »
    When you say "device menu" are you talking about device manager? Does the drive show up in Windows Explorer? How about in disc management? Did you format the drive?

barney.vorster

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 06:59:50 AM »
      If you click on start and then devices and printers, under devices it shows and then goes away, it does return but not for long before it disappears again. I am not sure what windows explores is. Also if i click the `my computer` icon it shows the old HD and the DVD rom, and the new HD does the same there, appearing and disappearing. When i installed the device windows asked me to format the drive before i could use it, which i did.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »
      Why are you even looking in Devices and Printers?

Windows Explorer is the file manager. Go to START - RUN and type explorer.exe then press ENTER. Do you see the new drive? If so, you're fine. If not, go to START - RUN and type diskmgmt.msc and press ENTER. Do you see the drive there? If so, what does it say?