Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using different brands of RAM in a dual-channel configuration  (Read 7016 times)

comporanger

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi all. I have a Gateway E4100 desktop running Windows XP. This is a single-core computer with four RAM slots on the motherboard to provide dual-channel memory. You're supposed to have identical paired DIMMs on both channels to let you run in dual-channel mode. I'm planning to use a pair of unbuffered sticks of 512 MB Crucial brand DDR in one channel and a pair of 512 MB  DDR Corsair brand in the other channel, also unbuffered. Does anyone know if performance would be enhanced by using the same brand in all four slots? Or decreased by using different brands? I thought since the pair in channel A would be identical and likewise the pair in channel B it should work fine, but I'd like a second opinion. Thanks in advance.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Using different brands of RAM in a dual-channel configuration
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
    ...You're supposed to have identical paired DIMMs on both channels to let you run in dual-channel mode....
    No, the 2 pairs need not be identical.  Therefore, both pairs need not be the same. 
    I have a computer with a pair of 1GB & a pair of 256MB.  BTW, there is no setup or configuration for dual channel.  It either works or doesn't, but you'll probably not notice the difference, either way.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
    No, the 2 pairs need not be identical.  Therefore, both pairs need not be the same. 
    I have a computer with a pair of 1GB & a pair of 256MB.  BTW, there is no setup or configuration for dual channel.  It either works or doesn't, but you'll probably not notice the difference, either way.

Correct. Usually for dual channel to work, however the sticks have to be identical in size, and the sticks have to have a common timing. I have had two different DDR2 800 2GB sticks in dual channel, however they only ran at the common timing of 667 until i swapped for two identcal sticks.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
    ...however the sticks have to be identical in size, and the sticks have to have a common timing...
    Not all 4 sticks, only the individual pairs need be matched.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
    Not all 4 sticks, only the individual pairs need be matched.

True. I was describing a 2 slot only situation :) You are correct; the slots are colour coded, and the sticks should be matched to the colours. Purple with purple, orange with orange ect...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
    Performance increase is marginal at best:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture