Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply Question  (Read 2230 times)

Avitus

Power Supply Question
« on: August 28, 2005, 07:25:08 PM »
Hello,

I build this computer about two months ago and recently I've been having frequent lock-ups. This happens while I'm running a program or just while the computers sits idle.  Not sure if the problem is hardware or software related.  I've ran Prime95 while watching the temps and volatges from the PSU. Though it didn't lock up during the stress test the Case temps stays low and the CPU temp stayed around 47 degree C.  Most of the power volages stayed consistant except the +5V and the +5V standby.  they jumped anywhere from 5.4V down to 2.6V.
So my question is, Is this normal for the +5V to jump like this? and Could this be a cause for the lock-ups?

Thanks!

System is:
3.06 Pentium D
Gigabyte motherboard with 2Gb Ram
AGP FX5500 (256mb) video
No PCI slots in use
450W PSU

Raptor

Re: Power Supply Question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 07:38:15 PM »
Is that you, Dynamite man?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:24:09 AM »
...So my question is, Is this normal for the +5V to jump like this? and Could this be a cause for the lock-ups?...

Don't trust the readings from only one monitoring program.  Monitoring programs are not all that great.  SMB (System Monitoring Bus) is not very fast.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 02:45:29 PM »
is that you flame