Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Old Computer with bad hard drive - need help with autoexec.bat  (Read 2756 times)

hopingForAnswers

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I have an old laptop with a bad hard drive.  The laptop is an CTX Ezbook 700.
    I was able to correctly install everything - except the CD Rom Drive.

It is working in DOS 5.  I made changes to the setup, created a new config.sys and Autoexec.bat.  When it starts now, there are no obvious errors it Setup, the config.sys has no obvious errors.  The autoexec tells me I have successfully
    installed Drive C:  (even though I specified drive d: in the autoexec file.). 

When I check further, d:  does not work  c:  does not produce an error
    c:  is there logically - but there is no actual c:  drive so I cant't use that either.

Is the Problem in Setup or in the autoexec.bat  or did I miss something in the Config.sys file.

I tried putting in a linux disk in the cd drive - but that didn't work either
    t

Salmon Trout

Re: Old Computer with bad hard drive - need help with autoexec.bat
    « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »
    The autoexec tells me I have successfully
    installed Drive C:  (even though I specified drive d: in the autoexec file.).

It sounds like you are booting from a floppy? In which case A: and B: are reserved for floppy drives, then C will be the system (MS-DOS) drive if present, and if not that letter will get assigned to the CD-ROM. The autoexec massage must be from MSCDEX.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Old Computer with bad hard drive - need help with autoexec.bat
    « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
    Massage..... ;D

Post the config.sys and autoexec.bat files for review...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "