Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DevMgr has 2 errors, usb's broke, cpu @100% constantly  (Read 36392 times)

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: DevMgr has 2 errors, usb's broke, cpu @100% constantly
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
Hmmm... I think I'll do that.
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
...If I go to process explorer and try and "kil" them, it says that this cannot be allowed. All I can do there is suspend them. The pc runs fine like that, but of course I have no printing capability.
Your USB's show in Process Explorer?  Mine shows none.

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »
They are listed inside of "system", then threads. They show up here, 3 of them, and one of them is taking up 97% and the others fluctuate. They called USBPORT.SYS+0x6086, all three the same. System on mine is listed second after system idle.

I tried everyting in safe, including changing all security permissions to my one account, deleting all other accounts and permissions and associations, and it still will not let me delete or kill these ****. I'm getting really ticked off about now...
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »
...If your HP has a card reader, try unplugging it, see diagram F_USB1, F_USB2 at bottom of motherboard.  You can actually plug & unplug them while running, it's only USB.  They're keyed so only can go in 1-way...
According to HP, you do have a memory card reader.  Unplug it from the motherboard.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00586071&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=1821850

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »
I did see that note but put it on ignore because I'm basically lazy and didn't want to ull and disconnect the entire thing to get at it. If you really think it has a chance of doing something, I guess I'll crawl around down there and give it a try. We do use it quite often too for the card in our cameras. I also have seen a lot of troubles that have come up from using this f'ing Apple Software, which once again I have deleted ALL of. Both the kids have iPods and they get locked up and have to be sync'd with iTunes, and every time I load that junk on this Windows pc I have problems. I told them this time to save up your money for a MacBook because it ain't evr going back on one of my Windows machines.

Do you really think that will help unplugging the card reader?

MM
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 12:59:09 PM »
It's about the only thing I can think of that would cause you all these problems.  All card readers are assigned a drive letter in windows even if no card is inserted.  Pop the side & pull the cable, doesn't get much easier.  Replacement card reader cost very little & come in both internal & external.  I have several of both.

Here's a handy utility I only started using about a week ago:  http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

Pic of card reader showing cable & connector:

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
Ok dude, I'll give it a go and report back. Keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks a bunch.

MM
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »
If any devices are connected to USB (except for mouse & keyboard), disconnect them for now.  Is one of them an HP printer?  I've seen those hang the bus...
Remember this?  I'll bet it starts working when you disconnect that *censored*!

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
well... no. It was plugged in below a plug that had two things connected to it, one being the slot for the extra hdd that can be inserted in a bay in the front. We have never had one. I unplugged them both, nothing happened. So I rebooted, and it is the same. There is nothing connected to any usb, and none of them work. I mean by that, if I plug in a flash drive I get a fraction of a second flash of the light, and then nothing.

The USB listed in PE is USBPORT.sys+0x6086 and it's TID is 380. It's CSwitch bounce around in the mid 200's and is MUCH higher there than anything else on the list, most only in the teens. The other two USB, which I can leave running as they do not use any CPU, bounce between 35 and 36. So this particular one is the culprit, I just can't kill it.
I don't have a clue...

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
Also, I noticed we have had 210 people look at this and not one of those people has one suggestion for what this could be? Come on guys, we need some help here!
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 02:02:34 PM »
I don't know what you unplugged.  The card reader is plugged into one of these.
I've got a card reader with a card inserted & it doesn't even show in Process Explorer, which it shouldn't.

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

Max Maximus

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »
It was plugged into the one on the right. I wanted to make sure so I took the whole front cover off and pulled the wire back up and out next to the reader, and then found it as it came back out at the bottom, so I am positive it is the right wire. White wire, black end with 5 female connectors.
I don't have a clue...

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2011, 02:13:27 PM »
Those are both USBs.  This one may narrow the culprit down.  Scroll far right to see all the columns.
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html
Sort by "Connected" & there should be none.
You can use this utility to delete everything except for the Root Hubs which you have previously done from the DM.
Active devices are highlighted light green.  You can change the order & display of columns:  View--Choose Columns
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:34:42 PM by Computer_Commando »

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »
I've got another thing to try.  Found this:
There are no devices in the usb ports, however one usb port does not seem to be powered. When I plug a verbatium  portable hard drive in I  do not get a light indicating power on one of the ports.
If one of the USB ports is damaged, that will cause the problems.  Test all ports with a flash drive, see if it lights up and is recognized in My Computer.  If you have a spare USB keyboard or mouse, it will put a bigger load on the +5V

Search Google "usbport.sys runs 100%" & there's quite a few, some HP Media Centers.  No solutions.
http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/1141079.htm

This must be a hardware problem, because it works in Safe Mode.  You have updated drivers, resinstalled drivers, etc.  BIOS provides limited USB support in Safe Mode.  You can try disabling the USB in the BIOS.  If that works, get a USB PCI card for $13.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158045

immental1200

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
What about completely wiping the pc? Then when reinstalling have nothing but the keyboard, mouse and scrren pluged in during setup, then ad other devices ONE at a time once windows is installed and up to date. Works wonders for me...