Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Printer spooler does not stay running  (Read 1994 times)

midwestgirl

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Printer spooler does not stay running
    « on: July 29, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »
    I am having trouble printing all of a sudden.  My printers have all disappeared. Keep getting the error "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running."  I am running XP pro with service pac 3.  HP all in one printer.  I have restarted the printer spooler service several times and it will not stay on.  It is also set to automatic.  Have deleted printer and tried installing from scratch and will not compete.  Please help I have been researching this problem and nothing seems to work. Hopefully someone here can help.  thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Printer spooler does not stay running
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:16 PM »
    Which HP printer? What OS do you have?
    Are you using a UUSB Hub or extension cable?
    Did you make recent changes to your system?
    Have you recently removed any virus?

michelsmith

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Printer spooler does not stay running
      « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »
      Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".

Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic