Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Firefox Hassles  (Read 3725 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

Firefox Hassles
    « on: August 02, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
    I have been using Firefox as my preferred browser for some time now.  Very recently, I have been having a couple of problems with the browser.  (1) It has become extremely slow and the (not responding) notice seems to appear regularly.  It has become very frustrating.  I have since tried IE without the same problem. (2) I keep getting notices that something is causing my homepage to be changed.  Each and every time I block the move but it is frustrating.  In addition to this happening with Firefox, it has also happened since starting to use IE only a very short time ago.

If you have any suggestions how to get my Firefox back up to speed and stop these attempts to have my homepage changed it would be greatly appreciated.

shaurya21

Rookie
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Firefox Hassles
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »
    try reinstalling firefox

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »
    Try running Firefox browser with add-ons disabled . If everything works out smooth when launching FF, try enabing add-ons till you find the culprit. Any recently installed software might also have cause your homepage to be change so try going to Firefox tools and revert your preferred homepage.

Brokel

Rookie

• Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 05:30:43 AM »
    It sounds like you have a highjacker on your computer  , it highjacks the browser and redirects you to a new address .

http://www.2-spyware.com/browser-hijackers-removal

try this link see if that helps ..
    Fight for a free world use Linux .

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 06:54:53 AM »
    I keep getting notices that something is causing my homepage to be changed.  ... it has also happened since starting to use IE only a very short time ago.
    I believe you may be infected with a virus or other malware.  I suggest you post your problem at http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

julio99

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
      First, try doing what the first poster suggested and disable all the add ons. If you're running a lot of add ons it could slow down the browser considerably. Remember the saying "garbage in garbage out" You pile a lot of extras on your browser and it will just take that much more time to load.  Try Chrome. It has just about everything FF has and it is definitely faster. Even IE has come a long way and made their browser more favorable to the masses. As for hijacks and malware slowing you down, I would recommend MalwareBytes AntiMalware Free and run a full scan. If you have trouble it will more than likely find it. Out of the 3 main browsers, I would say FF is the slowest. Try and remember that your computer is only going to be as fast as the hardware installed on it. Do you have a fast processor? Do you have enough RAM installed?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
      Firefox is not the slowest...open process list while running Chrome...tell me how many instances you see with 10 tabs open.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "