Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error message keeps reappearing  (Read 2760 times)

compnoob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Error message keeps reappearing
    « on: July 28, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
    Hi,

First of all, I'd like to apologize if this is in the wrong section, I do not know too much about computers but I think this is a software issue.  Thank you in advance for your help :)

Whenever I use my computer, a window opens that says "Error code 0x00000002: The system can not find the file specified."

I tried researching and running a variety of programs but the problem doesn't seem to go away. 

I am running Windows 7 Home premium (service pack 1) (64 bit) on a dell studio1558 with 6gb ram and an I5 processor.

Thanks again for all your help  ;D 

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Error message keeps reappearing
    « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:28:14 PM »
    1) What do you mean "whenever you use your computer"? EXACTLY when does the message appear?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

compnoob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »
      Thanks for the response :D

1) What do you mean "whenever you use your computer"? EXACTLY when does the message appear?

A: It appears as soon as I log into my account and windows starts.  Its a little pop up, and if i close it, it reappears in a few seconds.

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

A: As far as I can tell everything is working fine (besides this error popping up), I've ran a few scans and my computer seems to be clean. 

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »
      Please boot to safe mode. Does the same thing happen?

compnoob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
        The error did not occur while in safe mode.  For some reason now, the error seems to appear a couple minutes after I've started windows.  I noticed that in safe mode I was not able to open google chrome, while I was able to open other programs (including other internet browsers).

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
        Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

compnoob

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
          Hi,
          Sorry for the late response

The error did not seem to appear with any of the selective boots.  One thing I have noticed recently is that the error appears when I open Google Chrome (it is usually the first thing I open, which is why I thought this error was appearing on boot).