Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What's a good software or website for multiple emails?  (Read 2742 times)

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    What's a good software or website for multiple emails?
    « on: August 02, 2011, 06:59:55 AM »
    Hey, this is pretty noobish but-- I have a few different email addresses (gmail, hotmail, gmx) and I'd like to find something that will display mail from each one so I don't need to check them separately.  I'm not even sure what this sort of thing is called but I'm pretty sure they're out there.  I don't really care if it is downloadable software or something in the internet browser. 

Any suggestions?

(I'm running Windows XP with Firefox 5)

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: What's a good software or website for multiple emails?
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:13:01 AM »
    For that, you need to use an email client, meaning a separate software from your web browser.  Just about any email client can handle multiple email accounts.  Win XP users have Outlook Express.  Windows Vista users have Windows Mail.  No email client comes with Windows 7 but Windows Live Mail can be downloaded for free from Microsoft; it works with Win XP/Vista/7.  Microsoft Office users can use the Outlook component of Office. Another good email client is Thunderbird, which comes from Mozilla, the makers of Firefox web browser.  And, if you happen to be a user of the Opera browser, Opera has a a built-in email client called Opera Mail.   

Since you're using Win XP, I suggest either Outlook Express or Thunderbird. You already have Outlook Express but Thunderbird is a very good alternative.  Although I used Outlook Express for years and liked it, more recent exposure to Thunderbird allows me to also give it a strong thumbs up.

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:38:43 AM »
      Thanks! I just downloaded thunderbird and it seems great.  Are there any security tips I should note? Avast (antivirus) did give me this message:

Avast has detected a secure connection from your mail program (process thunderbird.exe) to the POP server [IP address] (live.com).

This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses.  Please disable SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail.  The Mail Scanner will provide the SSL/TLS security itself.

And then I got another popup from avast that said the same thing except the POP server IP was different.

Should I ignore this?  Or is there some kind of minor security thing I need to take care of?

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:36 AM »
      I use avast! too, and I've seen that same message.  Try doing what the message says, which is to "disable SSL/TLS in your mail client".  To do this in Thunderbird, go to Tools, Account Settings, and select Server Settings for the applicable email account. On the screen, you'll an area labeled Server Settings, with a button labeled Connection security.  Set that at None. 

If this causes problems with Thunderbird, you may need to reverse the change and ignore the avast! message. 

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:15:11 AM »
        Hmm, well as long as it is secure I think I might as well leave it, ignoring the avast message.  Do you think that's ok?

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
        Keep in mind the part of the avast! message that says: This type of connection cannot be checked for viruses."  So, again, the following would be best:
        Try doing what the message says, which is to "disable SSL/TLS in your mail client".  To do this in Thunderbird, go to Tools, Account Settings, and select Server Settings for the applicable email account. On the screen, you'll an area labeled Server Settings, with a button labeled Connection security.  Set that at None. 

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:19:18 PM »
          Oh ok, will do. 

I am also trying to add another account, and it is asking if I want IMAP or POP3.  Any suggestions? I don't quite know the difference, or if one is more secure than the other.

(thanks again for your help Soybean)

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:36:14 AM »
          No difference in security.  The best choice will depend on your circumstances.  Here's a reference: http://www.bol.ucla.edu/services/email/popvsimap.html

Alternative Solution

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:48 PM »
            Alright I got the IMAP/POP thing down.  Thank you!

About changing the SSL/TLS security-- I did that, but then the Authentication method would turn to "Password, transmitted insecurely".  When I changed it to 'Encrypted Password', it didn't work. 

What should I do?