Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What should i do with my computer?  (Read 2076 times)

HeavenlyStar

What should i do with my computer?
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »
I have a Dell XPS 1640
2ghz processor
4gb ram
640gb hard drive upgraded from original 320gb
ATI Radion 3670
Windows Vista
 to me its a very nice computer, I've had it about 2 years now and want to upgrade to a Desktop... to get my desktop though i really need to sell this laptop.
there's only one problem though. its very confusing to start-up... when i start up my computer i can access the internet but after a few moment it goes to the yellow triangle. to get the internet back i have to disable the hamachi network, go to my normal network diagnose that and then click turn Windows Wireless Service on... the only way i can start-up my computer without this happening is to login when i can and leave it for 3-5 minutes before doing anything.. it also isn't the fastest start-up in the world. i really don't want to sell the computer to someone with it in this state. i was thinking i could possibly sell it for parts? if i do need to do that could anybody recommend me a price to sell it for?

Thanks

Heavenly

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: What should i do with my computer?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »
Use Dell PC Restore Partition to return Windows to "as-shipped" condition.  Ctrl+F11 at startup, follow instructions.
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

johnkon32

Rookie

• Knowledge is the key to success.
    • Yes
    • Advanced Java
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:31:04 AM »
Well, if you don't want to format your HDD and re-install Windows, you might wanna try to clean the Registry and remove any unused programs. However, you might still encounter problems.

So, you can use the CD/DVD which came with your computer and wipe the whole HDD (Take Backups first), then re-install Windows.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
Well, if you don't want to format your HDD and re-install Windows, you might wanna try to clean the Registry
DO NOT mess with the registry. See if you can follow Computer Command's advice.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31:15 AM »
I see you are using LogmeIn Hamachi, which is a VPN Host/Client solution that requires the installation of a virtual TAP driver. I have had problems with OpenVPN and WiFi in the past with the TAP v9 driver, I want to add. Try uninstalling Hamachi. As you said 3-5 mins for WiFi to normally work, this is the period of time that Hamachi waits to receive an IP address and defaults to a 169.254.X.X address on the TAP virtual adapter. I am nearly 100% confident that it is Hamachi.

That said, the XPS 1640 is not the best laptop ever-3 stars on Amazon, for example. The HP Probook 4510s, for example, easily surpasses it in value-it runs at about $1,200 here-with 3GB (albeit DDR2, but I think DDR2 vs DDR3 performance is negligible because of other bottlenecks in the system, i.e. Hypertransport and the Intel equivalent that slips my mind, Northbridge-CPU speed, L2/L3 cache, FSB, memory latency, even HDD speed.)
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/ddr2-800-vs-ddr3-1333-does-speed-matter/ Absolutely no reason to get DDR3 over DDR2 if you have a 1333 MHz 9-9-9-24 DDR3 vs a 1111MHz 4-4-4-12 DDR3, at least in a desktop.
DDR3 has less power consumption, and generate less heat, though, which is good in a laptop.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none