Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Data curruption accessing drives from multiple OS  (Read 2497 times)

Ken.Everett

Data curruption accessing drives from multiple OS
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »
I have a dedicated SATA hard-drive from which I boot XP SP 3.  I also have a SCSI striped array from which I boot Windows 7 Ultimate.
All the data on my SATA hard-drives was created under WINdows XP.

I find that copying data over a network between 2 Windows 7 PCs is substantially faster that between mixed operating systems.
I created an Administrator-level profile in both XP and Windows7 that I use to access the drives across the network.  (ZNET)

My problem is that when I access an XP-created-drive from another networked Windows 7 PC while my PC is running WIndows7, I then find that when I re-boot my PC with Windows XP, CHKDSK automatically runs on ALL my XP-created partitions and there has even been some data-loss!

I assume this is caused by ACL corruption.

Is there a way to safely access the data without having any 'ownership' and CHKDSK issues ?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Data curruption accessing drives from multiple OS
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
I assume this is caused by ACL corruption.
Now that we have Google. no-one can say: "I didn't know".
Well, I didn't know. And I still don't.
Here is a definition of ACL:
An access control list (ACL), with respect to a computer file system, is a list of permissions attached to an object. An ACL specifies which users or system processes are granted access to objects, as well as what operations are allowed on given objects. Each entry in a typical ACL specifies a subject and an operation. For instance, if a file has an ACL that contains (Alice, delete), this would give Alice permission to delete the file.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list
You have already done some investigation that answers your own question. You can not mix XP and Windows 7 on a RAID system. Or that would seem to be the case. Look here:

Qu
estion                      
I'm getting corrupted indexing files every time I directly access files on my system.
Applies To: Windows | Windows 7 | Files, Folders, and Search
I installed Windows 7 on a partition of a raid 0 with Windows XP on a second partition as a dual boot. The setup went fine and all of the drivers appear to be working fine. It seems any time I access files via windows explorer, my computer, etc. the indexing of the files get corrupted. The system detects the corruption and upon reboot it cycles through the disk repair utilities and deletes several indexing files it says are corrupted and the cycle goes round and round. I disabled the file indexing on all of the partitions and the problem has gotten better but I still on occasion have to run scan disk and fix more indexing errors. Is anyone else having this problem?   ...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/im-getting-corrupted-indexing-files-every-time-i/ea095ffc-5de9-42d8-9258-36f8988cc80a
IMHO there is not a easy solution. The fact that others have trouble mixing Windows 7 and Windows XP would suggest that there is more that just a few issues. Some articles on the nMS support area indicate that you can not have XP and Windows 7 both in a RAID.

Article ID: 314343 - Last Review: December 1, 2007 - Revision: 3.3
Basic Storage Versus Dynamic Storage in Windows XP

Windows XP is now a 'legacy' system and it can do harm to the housework of newer versions of Windows the have newer definitions of hard disk can structure.
To 'workaround' you would have to stop XP from doing any kind of 'fixing' file structure errors.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:45:56 PM »
Windows XP is now a 'legacy' system and it can do harm to the housework of newer versions of Windows the have newer definitions of hard disk can structure.

Utter nonsense...Source ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:42:40 PM »
Utter nonsense...Source ? ?
Source? MS Support.Bur it is buried in MS Geek Speak.
Other web sites tell it like it it.