Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How To Stop Autofill Texting  (Read 3424 times)

bluecountry

Topic Starter

Apprentice

How To Stop Autofill Texting
    « on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:10 PM »
    I use firefox, I notice whenever I type something in (like the subject for this current thread) a list of previous things I have typed pops up for me to auto fill if I choose.
    Eh...I kinda like having my past history not be brought up each time, anyway I can stop this from happening?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: How To Stop Autofill Texting
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
    I would learn to live with it.  Autosuggest isn't only provided by the browser - in many cases on websites it's provided by a javascript call, Ajax or what-have-you.

Generally speaking, you can delete individual items from the autosuggest field - highlight with the cursor keys and hit delete.  But that would not work with the javascript scenario.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »
    I believe this will do it: Tools - Options - Privacy - Uncheck "Remember Search & Form History"

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:29:15 AM »
    After seing this I just had a quick Google and you may be interested to know that there is a Firefox add-on that allows you to view, clear, or selectively edit your form history called Form History Control. The current version is 1.2.9.3

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/form-history-control/

It showed me 541 items dating back to January 2010, some of which I deleted at once!!! This seems like a sensible privacy/security step to take especially if you ever type passwords or user names or other personal information into forms on websites. Thanks for making me aware of this issue.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:50:54 AM by Salmon Trout »