Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WINDOWS XP - PERMISSIONS TO UPDATE THE HOSTS FILE  (Read 9323 times)

BRIANH

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    WINDOWS XP - PERMISSIONS TO UPDATE THE HOSTS FILE
    « on: August 09, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
    I have recently purchased a new laptop with Windows XP (64 bit) installed.  I have installed a software application and would like to update
    the hosts file. However I can't change its permissions to allow me to do so.  My user id is a member of the admin. group so I'm a little confused.
    I thought this would allow me to do almost anything. I see that I do not have write permissions to the hosts file so now I'm stopped.

Has anyone experienced this issue and if so, any ideas how to approach a solution ?

thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: WINDOWS XP - PERMISSIONS TO UPDATE THE HOSTS FILE
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
    Have you tried right cliking it and Open as Admin ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BRIANH

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:56:05 PM »
      I don't an option to open the file as admin.. right clicking only provides an option to open / open with.......

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
      Open Notepad with Run as Admin...then open the hosts file...

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:15:51 PM »
      Open Notepad with Run as Admin
      No such option in XP :)

Why do you need to adjust "hosts" file?

Take ownership of "hosts" file: http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

BRIANH

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 11:27:55 AM »
        I'm running database software which requires VMware to be running which is Linux and this runs on top of Windows as a guest system. In order
        to comunicate with the database software I have to supply an IP in order to logon to it and setting up an alias in the hosts file makes
        it much easier. I can use the native IP however this is a bit cumbersome so an entry in the hosts file is the usual approach.

I haven't experienced an issue with Windows in the past,  I am using XP at work on a laptop and can alter the hosts file as required. I can also
        do the same on a laptop using Windows Home Premium.. So.. I confused as to why I can't do it on a DELL laptop running Windows XP 64 bit.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 12:00:54 PM »
        It is possible for malware to change the permissions for the hosts file. Was this a legitimate copy of the "software application", and have you got malware/virus/spyware protection in place? Are there any odd entries in the hosts file? If this is an issue connected with your work maybe you should be talking to your employer's IT department?

Have you tried logging in as Administrator and altering the permissions?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »

Oooops....my bad...sorry.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »

That's a surprise... for the last 10 years I thought there was.

Quote from: Microsoft
        HOW TO: Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an Administrator in Windows XP

This step-by-step article describes how to use the run as command to start a program as an administrator.

How to Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an Administrator

As an administrator, you can use the run as command to start a program. To do so:

Locate the program you want to start in Windows Explorer, the Microsoft Management Console (MMC), or Control Panel.
            Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you right-click the program icon, and then click Run as.
            Click Run the program as the following user, and then type the user name, password, and domain of the administrator account that you want to use.

NOTE: If you want to use the administrator account on your computer, type the name of the computer in the Domain box. If you want to use the domain administrator account, type the name of the domain in the Domain box. When the program is running, you can use Task Manager to check the process owner on the Processes tab of Task Manager. To start Task Manager, click Start, click Run, type taskmgr, and then press ENTER.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »
        Oooops...:)

BRIANH

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »
          Thanks for the instructions per Microsoft re: opening an application (I'm using Notepad) and being able to select the Run as option.
          HOwever this seems to present another issue. I know the password for me when I choose to lock then unlock my laptop. However I do
          not know the password for any other accounts (administrator etc.).  I'm not sure what procedure is followed when a vendor, in my case it
          is Dell, configures the O/S on the laptop in their shop prior to shipping the laptop.

Is there a process which will allow me to determine what the password is or are there a standard passwords setup by Microsoft for the
          particular O/S, in my case it is Windows Professional XP?

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
          Try just pressing Enter with a blank password, or try "admin" or see here if those don't work

How to log on to your Windows XP-based computer if you forget your password or if your password expires

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321305