Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: W2K Startup/Rstart Problem(s)  (Read 2929 times)

SEH

W2K Startup/Rstart Problem(s)
« on: August 30, 2005, 10:36:35 AM »
This is a rather complex problem so please bear with me with respect the length of this Message.

Background:

Running MS W2K/SP4 with all updates installed on a Dell Latitude, Cpt V466GT Laptop (Celeron 466 mgz Processor) circa 2000, with 512MB of Memory. and no (specific) problems prior to the onset of this problem:

Problem: After installing Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console, on Startup or Restart, the BootLoader would freeze on the OS selection screen (Selection between Microsoft Windows 2000 Pro and Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console). Hitting the "Enter" Key at just the right time allowed me to get past the problem.  

Regardless of the approach taken (Windows 2000 CD, "Backup" Emergancy Repair Disk, etc.), the System would still "Hang", or hang with "Setup is checking your hardware configuration...".

I downloaded ntDetect.chk replacing ntdetect.com with same, re-booted the System and discovered (via Ntdetect) it was hanging on "Identifying Mouse Configuration", Re-installed two Mouse drivers, for a HID Compliant Mouse and a Logitech Optical (USB) Mouse.

Then as a matter of curiosity clicked on the reinstated ntdetect.com file and received the following Error Messages in rapid succession (by hitting the "Ignore" key:

"The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0548 IP:4d86 OP:f0 00 f0 00 01 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

CS:0548 IP:4e18 OP:ff ff ff 43 02 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

CS:0548 IP:4e19 OP:ff ff 43 02 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

CS:0548 IP:4e4d OP:ff ff ff 24 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

If I repeated and restarted ntdetct a different set of error messages are displayed with different Addresses.

At this point the Re-installed Mouse Drivers are awaiting Restart, the original ntdetect.com file is in the C:/ ("SystemRoot") Directory, and the current boot.ini configuration for restart is:

[boot loader]
timeout=60
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /SOS /Bootlog
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons

(Edited with Notepad to include /SOS and /Bootlog switches)

At this point I am logged in, and reluctant to attempt a Restart, as I think the System will Hang when the Bootstrap Loader runs ntdetect.

Your advice and counsel on these problems would be MOST appreciated, in particular, the NTDetect.COM Error messages, and their importance, if any, what steps I can take to correct the problem prior to restart, and the best approach to take in restarting, and what steps to take if the Restart problem re-occurs.

Given the current length of time for a Technical Support response (20 days, not surprising) I have taken this to what I believe is the most appropriate Fourm, as well, for responses.

If you can provide ANY help, or direction, please do so.

Sincerely,

SEH

Computer_Commando

Re: W2K Startup/Rstart Problem(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 12:50:11 PM »
Remove Win2k Recovery Console.

SEH

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »
No problem, but why do you think this is the problem?  And, could you be more explicit.  Remove the Recovery Console from where?  The Boot.ini File?  The Directory files?  Both?  It is not indicated as an MS App in A/R Software.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 01:40:10 PM »
delete this>C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console" /cmdcons

i would have tried this myself>system file checker" From a cmd prompt, run "sfc /scannow"

but thats me.

SEH

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 02:03:01 PM »
Merlin(_2):

Re: the deletion (from Boot.ini), no problem.  But, for myself and others who might read this Thread, what is your rational for this deletion?

Is the Problem in BootSect.Dat?

SEH

SEH

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 02:07:37 PM »
Merlin(_2)

A PostScript to my last Reply.  Re: sfc.  I've done that. however, runing sfc /scannow restores all the original files in c:/WINNT/System32/dllcache, but wipes out a significant number of MS Updates and "Hotfixes" in the process, forcing a reinstall

SEH

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 02:13:28 PM »
most people dont fiddle with the boot cfg<boot init >.............this was in answer to your question...as i have posted ::)...or reboot pc hold down the f8 key and chose the last good config from the list on screen...........most folks are just happy their pc works..........and i would add that, if people just left them as they first bought them.<options to consider would be in my book >....disable winupdates/disable system restore/disable remote access..........and a trouble free pc to boot........
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:14:25 PM by merlin_2 »

SEH

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 02:59:46 PM »
Merlin(_2)

Agree re: "fiddling with Boot.cfg".  However, the "Microsoft Windows 2000 Remote Console" entry was created by MS during the Remote Console install process.

Agree too, with "disable winupdates/disable system restore/disable remote access"   The problem(s) caused by Winupdates, alone, could fill a book.

Will let you know the results "IF" and/or when I am able to log back on.

SEH