Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I find out which of my files path names were too long?  (Read 3364 times)

octagonproplex

How can I find out which of my files path names were too long?

I'm backing up my files from one external drive to another (just dragged a giant folder over and waited over a day for it to paste the entire thing), now I come to read "The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location with a shorter path." The destination folder saimply reads "CD2", which could literally be anything. What's the entire path?

I've got Windows 7.

So I'd gladly shorten whatever path(s) and try again, but how do I read entire path of which files were too long to be in which destination folder?

Don't know what to do, the window is still popped up that has the option of either "Skip" or "cancel" along which a check box at the bottom that reads "do this for all current items (11 found)", I haven't clicked anything yet. WHICH ELEVEN CURRENT ITEMS FOUND ARE TOO LONG??

I'm not very good with computers so feel free to treat me as a child.

truenorth

Guru

Re: How can I find out which of my files path names were too long?
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »
    This reply is NOT going to be treating you as a child.I have done some research on your behalf and found the following "solution" (in it it does say "it worked"). However it certainly (no disrespect intended) may be difficult to do for you given your comment.
    http://ask.metafilter.com/31958/How-to-deal-with-file-names-that-are-too-long
    This was the 1st of thousands of responses to the query"how to change file path names were too long?" in a Google search. Given that the 1st responses stated within it "that it worked" by the person seeking the solution i did not go farther.You may wish to use the same search query and examine more of the results. truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:21:16 PM »
    Some more information may help. Is this 64 bit Windows 7

What is the destination drive?
    a USB drive?
    a Network drive?
    a drive with a different file system, maybe FAT32?
    Is the drive a product make expressly for backup and did the instructions indicate you should best use the provided software?

Also, drag and drop can fail for a large amount of files. This is not well documented,  but in the MS KB there was such a thing with earlier versions of Windows.

Also, have you used this method of backup before and had good results? In some cases a hardware or network error brings up the wrong message.

Thee is nothing wrong with what you want to do. It is the hardware and software that has limitations.

Here is a post on another forum that would indicate similar problems have been reported:
    Question                      
    Large file transfer stops working when using USB hard drive and Windows 7 64 bit, Intel chipset
    I would suggest you to go to your Manufacturer's website and try to install latest drivers for chipset. Make sure you install it in compatibility mode as there are no 64 bit drivers released for Windows 7.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/large-file-transfer-stops-working-when-using-usb/6da363f8-fd39-4988-8d29-4199248f20a4

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:14:04 PM »
    Try this software -> *SPAM*