Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing my laptop hard drive  (Read 2966 times)

kennybartling

Changing my laptop hard drive
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:58:42 AM »
I have a Dell inspiron 1521. it has like 2.56 gb left.
what hard drive should i get?

truenorth

Guru

Re: Changing my laptop hard drive
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »
    kennybartling,Welcome to the CH forums. I suggest that you give some thought as to whether a replacement internal HHD is what you want (with the associated need to delve into the interior of your laptop) or would an external USB connected HDD meet your needs. Externals happen to be a preferred route for me because of the versatility and mobility they offer. Then it becomes a question of the size (capacity) you desire. In that regard they are available now to at least 3 TB and usually there is NOT a great deal of difference in price when you stay at or below the 1 TB capacity. After that manufacturers brand may enter into your decision (here you will find different opinions from CH forum members) with some preferring one brand over another (often related to their own personal experiences). On a general note for your purchase HDD available from on-line stores are usually less expensive than at bricks and mortar retailers.Also various HDD speeds may be available (internal and external) for your computer if that is important to you. In the final analysis it will be your decision based on availability and price in your area. There are also ratings available for HDD's which you can research via google. Large is great for oodles of space but can become more of a frustration if at some time you need to run a diagnostic test on the drive (the larger it is the longer it will take).truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »
    I have a Dell inspiron 1521. it has like 2.56 gb left.
    what hard drive should i get?
    You have used 158GB out of a 160GB drive?  I don't believe it.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:43:05 AM »
    Are you just out of space or the drive is shut? If its out of space then follow Truenorth's suggestion. You could also make backups of your files at the same time.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
    Are you just out of space or the drive is shut? If its out of space then follow Truenorth's suggestion.
    Well, this gets down to a matter of preference.  Maybe he would prefer having a larger internal hard drive.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:48:06 AM »
    Maybe he would prefer having a larger internal hard drive.
    I believe so, basing on the title. But the post is contradictory. So there is a clear option and both directions can be taken as suggested.