Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Core i5 2500k Heat Issues  (Read 3958 times)

Cote1616

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Core i5 2500k Heat Issues
    « on: August 13, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »
    So I ordered this i5 2500k machine from NCIX about 2 months ago. In that time, I've noticed it gets abnormally hot.

It has a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ cooler a Coolermaster 850w power supply, a P8P67 Pro motherboard and an AMD Radeon 6970 GPU. The case is a Thermaltake.

The issue is that even on idle without an overclock, at idle, temperatures are about 45-55 degrees Celsius. That's running at 1.6 GHz. When under load, it will run up to about 75 degrees, again without an overclock.

When I apply an overclock to 4.7 GHz, temperatures come to about 90 degrees. This seems absurdly high, as I've heard of people getting the same overclock and still being around 60 degrees with this cooler.

I've reseated the cooler to see if that was the issue, but no luck. I didn't re-apply any thermal paste, and I'm still getting the same readings.

What should I do?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Core i5 2500k Heat Issues
    « Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 08:09:15 PM »
    That is way too high. can you check your fan speed from the bios or with speedfan/hwmonitor/hwinfo32?

Is the case fan mounted properly? i.e. blowing OUT of the case, not sucking air in?

You might be limited by case airflow-the Radeon 6970 is sure to generate an amount of heat, and with cramped cases this will be a factor in the problem. Try opening the side of your case, get a house fan blowing at it, and see whether your temperatures decline.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Cote1616

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:17:09 PM »
      When idling, system fan speed is around 931 RPM, and the CPU fan is around 1234 RPM. Average temp of the cores is 48 degrees.

Under load, system fan speed is around 1070 RPM and the CPU fan is maxed out at 2000 RPM. Average temp of the cores is 86 degrees, and this is running at 4.7 GHz. The temp maxes at about 92 degrees. These numbers are from Speedfan and CPUID.

BOTH case fans are blowing out properly.

Cote1616

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
        You might be limited by case airflow-the Radeon 6970 is sure to generate an amount of heat, and with cramped cases this will be a factor in the problem. Try opening the side of your case, get a house fan blowing at it, and see whether your temperatures decline.

I have actually tried that. Got a 2 degree drop. I also moved the Radeon 6970 to another PCI port further from the CPU, and saw no change.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
        Max operating temp is 72.6°C.
        Corei5 2500k
        http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-2500K%20CM8062300833803.html
        Coolermaster Hyper 212+ cooler
        http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603

That's about a 50% overclock.  I'd remove the heatsink & reapply the thermal paste.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
        I reread your post and... max 1234 RPM!?!?! :o
        http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0

It should go up to 2000 RPM... go into your BIOS and check your fan speeds.

from the above website:
        600 - 2000 R.P.M. (PWM)[/size]
        In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »
        I reread your post and... max 1234 RPM..
        It should go up to 2000 RPM... go into your BIOS and check your fan speeds...
        When idling, system fan speed is around 931 RPM, and the CPU fan is around 1234 RPM.
        Under load, system fan speed is around 1070 RPM and the CPU fan is maxed out at 2000 RPM...

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »
         :-[ :-X  Lets see what the OP has to say about your suggestion...