Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Browser Loading and Performance Problems  (Read 2424 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

Browser Loading and Performance Problems
    « on: August 15, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »
    I am running 2 laptops at present; (1) a Panasonic with XP and (2) an Acer with Windows 7. I can run applications like Metatrader and skype on my Panasonic no problem, but recently, I can't seem to load any of my browsers (I have Firefox & Explorer). They simply will not load. The "egg timer" on the cursor comes on but it simply will not load the browser at anymore.

In addition, my Acer's performance has been terrible lately. Whenever I use either of the 2 browsers I mentioned above, they are slower than usual and require 2-4 clicks of the mouse before I am able to pull up a web page etc. I use SuperAntiSpyware occasionally. I am tempted to restore the machine to a previous date (such as factory) but I am hesitant to do so as my other laptop isn't functioning properly now!

truenorth

Guru

Re: Browser Loading and Performance Problems
      « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
      What anti virus program(s) beside the the  mentioned (SuperAntiSpyware ) are you using on these computers? What are the firewall settings?Can you associate this problem with anything you added or changed coincident to it's occurrence?Just for the time it takes to run a test disable your anti virus program and see if a difference occurs.truenorth

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »
        I'm using Comodo antivirus and firewall.  I haven't knowingly changed any settings but could certainly try shutting it off and browsing for a minute or two.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
          Please let us know the result of the test.truenorth

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
            I shut down the av and fw and it seemed to be back to its normal speed.  Then I re-started the av and fw and it seems to be running at full speed again!  I can't see why shutting down and re-starting the security systems would have an affect.  So, I'm still at a loss as to figure out why it was running so slow. 

As for my XP laptop, it finally loaded the browsers about 10-15 minutes after I clicked on them.  Subsequently, they began loading at the usual speed once again.  At least for now.  We'll see next time I use it.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »
              So as i understand it temporarily disabling the AV and the firewall resulted in BOTH improved speed AND the ability to load your browsers? Is that correct (because you don't mention the effect on the browsers)? I also believe you found that even after the reintroduction of the firewall and the AV the 2 computers (after an initial problem with the XP machine) they are both now operating as you would want. Is that also correct? You might want to try operating with your AV only and no firewall to see the effect of that. My belief was and the reason i had you try the test was that perhaps your AV and/or your firewall was performing their functions to the point that you could not access the browsers as they were not completing their scans. If you do get the problem back you may wish to try a different AV. You may know that there are others (free) that are known to be quite effective.truenorth