Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help with a registry problem  (Read 3323 times)

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Need help with a registry problem
    « on: August 18, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
    Hi everybody I need some help with a registry problem that I caused.  I was deleting some programs with revo uninstall and instead of deleting the sub directives that were highlighted I deleted some of the main components in the registry and now my add or remove programs does not populate.  I understand that I can get the files off a windows cd but don't have a clue how to go about it, and was hoping someone could walk me through it.  I backed up my operating system with acronis but after doing the restore I still have the problem.  It seems if you mess with the registry you are screwed and your backup comes out the same way  ......so could I get some help on this, and if there is a discussion on this in the forums somewhere just point me to it.........thanks......two-dogs     

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need help with a registry problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
    I think you have made another post earlier about google redirections which I've responded... Is this the same machine and what OS are you running?
    add or remove programs does not populate
    See this link -> Add/Remove Programs tool displays installed programs incorrectly

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
      Ya it's me and still having problems.   I made a reg file and it shows up as a reg ext. in note pad, but when I try to load it I get this error ( This specified file is not a registry file . You can import only registry files)  I went to the site you sent me to and did find a key that was missing [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B124F8C-91F0-11D1-B8B5-006008059382}] .......I put that in a note pad file and gave it a .reg extension and I got that error, so what am I doing wrong .......thanks for your help jason2074.......two-dogs

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »
      If you had an image from before the problem occurred and you restored that image, there is no way the same problem could be present. Something else is going on.

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
        • Yes
        • The Doctor
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:33:41 AM »
      MS in their infinite wisdom, provided us with a Go Back program, years ago.

Today, it's called "System Restore" and it's in the 'Programs > Accessories > System Tools  folder.

Unless someone has turned it off, there will be a restore point in there, maybe a few days old, that you can use to GO BACK to a time before you GOOFED.
      I use mine so often that I run a little script in my Startup folder to force a new Restore Point every time I boot up my PC.

I can think of few things that are worse than needing to GO BACK and not having a Restore Point to go back to.

Good Luck,
      The Shadow  8)

Experience is truly the best teacher.
      Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »
        Thanks for the suggestion on using system restore but that was the first thing I tried.  Every restore point all the way back to June just does not work.  I tried to restore in safe mode but that didn't work either, so at this point I am trying to reinstall the restore feature but I am having trouble with that also.  It says it wants the service pac 3 disk so I put it in and is not finding the sr.sys file it needs to load.  I am doing a lot of reading and if I don't get anything here I will just keep reading........thanks for the advice ........two-dogs     

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:21 PM »
          I finely got it I had to take the sr.sys file off my other computer and load it on the one that was messed up.  all so good now time for a back up with acronis..........two-dogs   

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
            • Programming Blog
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 09:23:01 PM »
          FYI The reason why your reg files arent working right is probably because the first line should always read: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
          YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

two-dogs

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
            Thanks there Linux711 you were right that did work it took it right to the reg.  Why in the *censored* didn't they say that on the microsoft page, *censored* that was easy..........two-dogs