Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba L355-S7915 won't boot, a/c power supply test 19.66 vdc at input  (Read 5171 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
This laptop is listed in my specs.
Detailed specs are here
User guide is here

Machine is used daily, has up-to-date MSE antivirus (complete scan 2 days ago = no threats), and Malwarebytes and SAS paid subscriptions with real time protection enabled). I last used it yesterday and everything worked fine.

Today, when I pushed the power-on button nothing happened. I checked the voltage output from the a/c adapter and is has 19.66 volts at machine input connector (multimeter set to 20 vdc scale) and (which is within spec for this machine).
Also battery is installed and, although rarely used on battery power, battery has been performing fine.

What now? Is there a fuse I need to check?
I was going to disassemble it to check continuity on the power switch (if possible) but I figure I'd better check with you Computer Hope guru's before proceeding.

As always, thanks for any help !!!

Mike

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
That's usually they way they fail, just won't turn on.  Try holding the power switch on for 30 sec.  Then remove the ac adapter & the battery & do the same thing, some machines this will perform a hard reset.  There's not much you else can do.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
That's usually they way they fail, just won't turn on.  Try holding the power switch on for 30 sec.  Then remove the ac adapter & the battery & do the same thing, some machines this will perform a hard reset.
Done = still no response

There's not much you else can do.
Surely there's something. I'd hate to throw this machine in the garbage if there is something I can test / replace.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
Had a Dell laptop fail the same way.  Just about everything is on the motherboard, replacement motherboards are not cheap.  It's like cellphones, they are not fixable.  Pretty much like all electronics now are throw-aways.  Costs more to repair than to replace.  Found a place that buys non-working laptops & disassembles them for parts.  New laptops are very inexpensive, you can get a really nice one for less than $500.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I understand perfectly. I do a lot of electronic board replacements on industrial machinery where I work (industrial maintenance mechanic / electrician).  My company's on-site replacement parts inventory includes probably ~$100,000+ in electronic boards and electrical control components alone. But my company can not afford the parts to not be there when needed. Downtime can cost $?0000's, per 8 hr shift for these machines to be non-productive - waiting for Fed-Ex/air courier/ect. to deliver a new one.
But, for my personal stuff, I'm in no big hurry and I have other PC's to work with (but can't afford $500+ to replace this one). I'd just like to save this one if possible. I have tools and skills to test and repair most electronic circuits if that is the case here. I'm just not near as knowledgeable about laptops ect. as I am with industrial control circuits.
Even if the machine is 'cost-effectively' un-fixable, I'd like to put forth an effort to revive it if possible just because...  :)
So, with all due respect, I'm hoping another user may have some idea, directions, suggestions ect.
Thanks Computer_Commando.  ;)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
For some additional troubleshooting steps most probably if I were in that situation is to check on your CMOS battery output by ohmmeter or replace it. Second would be to remove network card from mobo and or one stick of RAM module. Had one laptop before that I've been fixing and gave up in the end and moved on. I've seen and read that some of those components mentioned could cause those behavior but of course varies on different PC depending on the condition. Good luck.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
CMOS battery reads 3.24 vdc.
No boot when network card is removed.
Removed 1 stick of ram = same symptom.
Removed other stick of ram = same symptom.
Swapped ram into opposite sockets one-at-a-time = same symptoms.
Removed 'power on' switch and tested = '0' ohms resistance when depressed (could not probe motherboard connector due to plug socket too small for my meter leads, but I removed enough insulation on the wires to test) so I 99% doubt the switch is faulty.

Good luck.
Thanks! Looks like I may need some.  :-\

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I removed the mboard and see no sign of burned tracers anywhere, removed the processor and re-installed with new thermal compound on heat sink, tested continuity between power inputs (battery and a/c) and tracers on that circuit on mboard = '0' ohms. All connectors unplugged/re-plugged with no issue. I even finally figured out where all 42 screws, in seven different sizes/threads, went back into their original locations. = I won't buy another Toshiba product!!!!!
Any other ideas, directions, suggestions will be greatly appreciated ?
I'd sure be willing to buy a twelve pack or T-bone steak (or both) for anyone with a solution.  ??? :)

Otherwise, I'll keep the optical drive, ram and hard drive for parts. I assume the battery only fits Toshiba so I will not be needing it. (anyone using a Toshiba laptop that needs this battery is welcome to it. (free of charge if you pay shipping and good luck with your machine).

I've rarely taken a laptop apart before to this extent. But in my limited "1" experience I see some issues with Toshiba that are certainly more 'user un-friendly' than my HP..

I started a thread on Computer Hope years ago asking about self building a laptop, parts, ect. (that thread is here). That, of course, lead me to not pursue that project.
= Gee, IMO laptops are very desirable. I love my HP 6715b (and liked the Toshiba). I can take it anywhere (in about 3hrs less time/effort than any of my desktops) + (space). But, for the most part, laptop serviceability really sucks.
I need a replacement for this laptop, but it's role is usually being hooked to a/c power / in one location. So I'm thinking I may just build a desktop to take it's place.

It's a shame 'they' (the manufacturers) have us in this 'non-cost effective' position pertaining to laptop serviceability.

Yes, I'm pissed, but I'll get over it this time.
Thanks CC & Jason for the help!!!  :)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
It's a shame 'they' (the manufacturers) have us in this 'non-cost effective' position pertaining to laptop serviceability.
Yes, I'm pissed, but I'll get over it this time.
OOP's. Sorry about the rant.  :-[
Contrary to my response earlier, I'm not through trying to revive this machine if possible.
I still appreciate any idea, directions, suggestions, to try to save it. 

Thanks CC and Jason or anyone else.  :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
That's cool, I understand.  I've taken a few laptops apart, it's no fun.  It doesn't seem to matter what brand, they all have their own packaging issues.  The Dell wasn't too bad to get apart, but like you, I could find nothing wrong.

What I don't like about Toshiba laptops is there is no Service Manuals, Dell & HP have Service Manuals online.  The only reason I bought a new laptop is to see how far they've come in 12 years.  Keep the hard drive & sell the Toshiba, I got a $100 for the Dell from www.laptopservice.com  See "Sell Your Laptop" on the left?

BTW, I used to design & troubleshoot custom industrial controls of all kinds.  I used to work with a guy that designed laptop packaging.  Their job is to stuff it in there any way they can, engineering then approves it or not.  They don't have a lot of time to spend on how manufacturing is supposed to put it together.  No thought at all on how to take it apart.  Industrial controls are a completely different animal.  Serviceability is a key ingredient, especially when the person designing it is the same one who must troubleshoot it (Me).

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Re: Toshiba L355-S7915 won't boot, a/c power supply test 19.66 vdc at input
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 10:51:28 PM »
Industrial controls are a completely different animal.  Serviceability is a key ingredient, especially when the person designing it is the same one who must troubleshoot it (Me).
I understand perfectly. I designed, built and installed a machine at the factory where I work. It worked great and increased the production of that process x 3. The bosses were real happy. But one of the gearboxes failed a couple of months later on my shift. While repairing it I realized my lack of thought about servicability (a real headache) and not to mention several hours of downtime. A few weeks later the bosses asked me to build the same machine for 2 other production lines and you can bet this time I made several design changes to allow better serviceability.  ;)

And about my Toshiba laptop:
I bought it 18 months ago new from a local computer shop and I talked to him yesterday about it. He said, although out of warranty, to bring it back and he would replace it with a laptop that is not new, but works fine. I was so suprised to hear him say that I didn't even ask what kind of laptop he had for me. Pretty nice customer service I'd say. I'll post here after I get the new one with the specs.  :o

michelsmith

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 04:17:01 AM »
    Hi,

Problems with the boot might cause startup issues in Toshiba laptop. The issues can be solved easily. The system can be booted from an alternate source. Booting from an alternate source might help to access the system. Once the system is accessed it is possible to rectify the issue easily.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 09:25:29 AM »
    ...Problems with the boot might cause startup issues in Toshiba laptop. The issues can be solved easily. The system can be booted from an alternate source. Booting from an alternate source might help to access the system. Once the system is accessed it is possible to rectify the issue easily.
    Obviously, you didn't actually read the thread.  Won't boot if it doesn't power on or perform POST.