Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry Error: Access Denied.  (Read 2976 times)

Xelvanox

Topic Starter

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Registry Error: Access Denied.
    « on: August 18, 2011, 07:02:29 PM »
    I am using a computer with Windows 7 x64 Pro Edition. I was recently screwing around with my registry and didn't remember to export a backup. (Bad idea, I know.) So I messed with some settings to see what they changed, just experimentally, and it didn't seem to do anything. I must have caused a problem, though, since I no longer have access to the registry editor.

I closed the registry editor and put my computer into standby. When I returned, I went to Start>Run>regedt32.exe like I always do. This time, though, I received the following message: "Registry Editor: Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator." I though that I must have screwed with something so started searching for a solution. It appeared to have a fix in gpedit.msc, so I tried opening that. I then received the following error: "Error: The snap-in below, referenced in this document, has been restricted by policy. Contact your administrator for details. Group Policy Object Editor."

Well crap. To unlock the Registry Editor, I need to use Group Policy. To unlock Group Policy Object Editor, I need to use the Registry. Could someone help me out here, because I need an alternate method to unlock these after I unintentionally prevented my own access from them.

Other useful information:

I mostly know what I'm doing in the registry, so unless I was just not paying attention these settings are referenced in multiple keys.

My main account is an administrator, but I have another administrator account which doesn't have these tools blocked. If I could find the correct values in HKEY_USERS then that might be a solution.

I am lead to believe that what I am looking for will be in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, considering the previous line.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Registry Error: Access Denied.
    « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 05:43:34 AM »
    Use system restore to go back to before you messed up.