Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New graphic card problems help  (Read 5806 times)

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    New graphic card problems help
    « on: August 20, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
    Hi all! Im new here and I joined just for help from an issue im having. So I just purchased a nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti today, with a new 600W powersupply to help it on its way. This was a completely new upgrade for my old computer, especially since its on a first gen i7.

Anyway, I remove my old Radeon HD 4800 and plop it in, with the new power supply (Keep in mind my old power supply is a meager 350 Watt), and I get a cheksum errror. So I load up the BIOS and after loading windows it just hangs. I then installed the drivers and booted up again. This time, I re-set the graphic card on my motherboard because I was getting red dots on some parts of the screen. It loaded up windows and it hanged, with little beeps coming from my computer in the middle of startup.

So now, after removing the old graphic card and putting the old powersupply and graphic card back in, I am at the breaking point of waiting 45 minutes for it to boot up, upwards from the small 15 second bootup it had. It still has problems, even though before it had none (before I put the new card in), and it has the same hanging issues with the old card. When I finally do get to my desktop homescreen, the system time has been reset to January 1st 2008 (Near the time the computer was manufactured),and I still see red dots, Whenever I left click something, windows explorer just tstops. However, My data is all intact, at least, so far. I'm experienced with computers, and know Java, but that doesnt help with hardware at all!

Please help!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    Re: New graphic card problems help
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:18:08 AM »
    What is the particular Checksum error details? Your motherboard model? Did you happen to make a BIOS flash during the upgrades on hardware and OS?

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:56 AM »
    I'm thinking that its the RAM that's the problem-I have had problems with faulty RAM causing extremely long system boot times after a power surge caused the PC to stop working. This has happened to me with both laptops and desktops.

Another thought: according to nVidia, the GTX560 Ti requires at least 500 Watt power supply... what are the specs of your PC? If you have a high-end processor, 100 Watts will easily be used up.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:54:39 AM »
    if you boot in safe mode or vga mode, is it still slow to boot?
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:11:18 AM »
      What is the particular Checksum error details? Your motherboard model? Did you happen to make a BIOS flash during the upgrades on hardware and OS?

I re-set the graphic card on my PSI slot and that error dissapeared. It was a CMOS cheksum error.

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
        I'm thinking that its the RAM that's the problem-I have had problems with faulty RAM causing extremely long system boot times after a power surge caused the PC to stop working. This has happened to me with both laptops and desktops.

Another thought: according to nVidia, the GTX560 Ti requires at least 500 Watt power supply... what are the specs of your PC? If you have a high-end processor, 100 Watts will easily be used up.

Intel Core i7-920 2.65ghz processor. I had NONE of these issues before putting in the new powersupply and new graphic card.

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
          if you boot in safe mode or vga mode, is it still slow to boot?
          Yeah, I was asked that on another forum, and yes, maybe even slower.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »
          The core i7 920 guzzles up 213 W at 100% CPU load, 130 W according to Intel.
          That shouldn't be a problem-the GTX 560 Ti 's actual power consumption:
          http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page11.html
          358 W on Furmark extreme stress +213 Watts = 571 Watts. So I wouldn't completely rule out the PSU, if you have another PSU at hand with a higher rating, try it.

Have you removed a stick of RAM to see if that's the problem?
          In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 09:56:41 AM »
            The core i7 920 guzzles up 213 W at 100% CPU load, 130 W according to Intel.
            That shouldn't be a problem-the GTX 560 Ti 's actual power consumption:
            http://www.techspot.com/review/359-nvidia-geforce-gtx-560ti/page11.html
            358 W on Furmark extreme stress +213 Watts = 571 Watts. So I wouldn't completely rule out the PSU, if you have another PSU at hand with a higher rating, try it.

Have you removed a stick of RAM to see if that's the problem?

I can try. I think im getting better advice here from you alone than at Majorgeeks at the moment. Do you think the sudden burst of power screwed over the RAM?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 10:00:31 AM »
            I can try. I think im getting better advice here from you alone than at Majorgeeks at the moment. Do you think the sudden burst of power screwed over the RAM?

Thank you, Thank you... *blushes*

The sudden burst of power could have damaged pretty much anything inside your computer-seeing that the computer does post and that the graphics card and CPU are all good, it very well might be the RAM.

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »

Thank you, Thank you... *blushes*

The sudden burst of power could have damaged pretty much anything inside your computer-seeing that the computer does post and that the graphics card and CPU are all good, it very well might be the RAM.
              Ok, Im currently running on 12 GB of RAM, so Ill remove one stick and see how it goes.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:05:21 AM »
              You may want to also replace the CMOS battery...Part # CR2032...available anywhere.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »
                You may want to also replace the CMOS battery...Part # CR2032...available anywhere.

I stopped getting the error, however. Should I replace it anyway? Looking for that part. Might be better just to get a new PC now.

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                « Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »
                I stopped getting the error, however. Should I replace it anyway? Looking for that part. Might be better just to get a new PC now.

It certainly wouldn't be worth getting a new PC if only one component is trashed...
                Replace it when you can so we can make sure your BIOS is recognizing all your hardware and configuring them properly.

Avia

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:03 AM »
                  Ok. Heres what Im going to do.

1. Remove one of my 4 RAM sticks to check if the RAM is bad
                  2. Replace the CMOS battery (when I can)
                  3. Put in new graphic card (The 560 ti) with the new powersupply.

Did I mention that I still do have the old card?