Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: processors  (Read 2643 times)

jackie2000

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    processors
    « on: August 20, 2011, 04:26:02 PM »
    I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra money for a laptop with intel i7 quadcore processor verus the i5 or even i3 processors.  I use the pc mostly for web browsing and MS office applications.  I don't do streaming videos (can't do that with satellite internet) or online gaming.  I want good speed and I've always thought I had to buy top of the line but now I'm wondering if it would make any noticeable difference for what I do.  I've been looking at Dell inspiron and XPS laptops.  I definitely want a 17" screen.  Everything else is negotiable.  My current pc only has 512mg RAM but that was an upgrade when I bought it.  I have 40GB hard drive and only use half of it now. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: processors
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 04:28:18 PM »
    i5 will be fine for your needs...and save you some cabbage.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
    I'm on a new HP i3 laptop now.  It's more than fast enough for web browsing & office apps.  Laptops have come a long way in the past 5 years & prices have never been lower.  What's your budget?

Right behind it is a 32" HDTV which I can connect at any time.  32 is a little big for 3 ft away.

jackie2000

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:39:40 AM »
      I'd like to keep it under $850.  I'm assuming the new processors are more efficient--my old pentium 4 is 2.2ghz and it's slow.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:00:27 AM »
      the new Intel Core processors are way more efficient have have far more computing power than the Pentium 4.
      The i3 is more than enough for web browsing and office, as said above-the core 2 duo is already more than enough for the occasional game or two.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i3-processor.html?cid=cim:msn|ci3ltop2_us_brandlaptop|anCDA6|s#utm_source=MSN&utm_campaign=cim:msn|ci3ltop2_us_brandlaptop|ancda6|s&utm_medium=cpc

the intel guide to i3 laptops.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
      I'd like to keep it under $850.  I'm assuming the new processors are more efficient--my old pentium 4 is 2.2ghz and it's slow.
      You can get a very nice one for under $500, so your problem will be to decide which one.  I don't find it all that much faster then either of my desktop P4's, both 3.0GHz.  Laptop is running Win7-64bit, desktops running WinXP.  It's the features they now cram into a laptop, wireless-N, Bluetooth, fingerprint logon, USB3.0, HDMI port.  Laptop even has 8GB RAM & 7200rpm drive.