Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adobe Reader 8 will not update to Adobe Reader 9 or 10 - also will not uninstall  (Read 7702 times)

Clifford

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hi, hopefully the title kind of explains the general situation.  I have a Compaq Presario C500 Laptop with Vista Home edition installed (Intel Celeron M CPU 1.86 GHz/1.50 GB Ram/Vista SP 2. 
    I've been trying to update my Adobe Reader 8 to a version 9 or 10.  However, each and every time I try to install either, I receive 3 error messages (1 of them stating the following: "Error 1402. Could not open key.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\AcroExch.Sequence\DefaultIcon.  Verify you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel." 
    The second message states: "Error 1402. Could not open key.  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\PDFShellServer.PDFShellInfo2.1\CLSID.  Verify you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
    The final error message states: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in the Set Associations control panel."
    This also happens when I try to completely uninstall Adobe Reader 8 as well.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert

Clifford

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Thanks for replying - I've tried that page.  The problem is when I get to this section: 3.Back up your current Registry file:
      a.In the Registry Editor dialog box, choose File > Export
      b.Type a name for the file and choose the location.
      No matter what I type for a file name, it won't accept it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      Did you uninstall version 8 before trying to install a later version?

freeforall

• *Bugmenot user*

• Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
        This is one of the reason I am not happy with Adobe products. They slow down PC speed and also difficult to remove from system. They act like a virus. So know I am using another PDF editor named as classic PDF reader.

It works great.

soybean

Genius
        I am using another PDF editor named as classic PDF reader.
        Can you provide a link to "classic PDF reader"?  I did a search but don't anything that clearly looks like a PDF reader for a Windows PC.

TulsaRose

I uninstalled Adobe Reader as it was a huge resource hog.  Downloaded and installed the free Nitro PDF Reader and I'm very happy with it.  http://www.nitroreader.com/

You might consider switching to an alternative program for reading PDF files.  Another free program that is highly recommended is Sumatra PDF Viewer.  Read the CNet review and download here:
        http://download.cnet.com/Sumatra-PDF-Viewer/3000-10743_4-11921508.html

soybean

Genius
        Foxit Reader also is a great alternative to Adobe Reader.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        Foxit Reader also is a great alternative to Adobe Reader.

Out of all suggested ...it's the best...smallest footprint and just *censored* good...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "