Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Vista O/S not starting  (Read 26944 times)

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows Vista O/S not starting
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:42 PM »

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 12:05:01 AM »
    Ok so F8 was the key I needed to be pressing and not just any key like it said. Now that I can get to the startup repair, I will do that tomorrow. Too tired tonight.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    « Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 12:13:09 AM »
    Your still confused ??? I understand your tired. Get some rest first. You'll be cleared up tomorrow. ;D
    The Repair option is from the CD you inserted or prior...
    The Safemode with networking is from tapping F8. I think you are doing both and Vista CD gave you repair option.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »
      Your still confused ??? I understand your tired. Get some rest first. You'll be cleared up tomorrow. ;D
      The Repair option is from the CD you inserted or prior...
      The Safemode with networking is from tapping F8. I think you are doing both and Vista CD gave you repair option.
      I understand what you're saying. Tapping F8 repeatedly didn't work on its own before I changed the boot options. And when I tried to boot from the DVD and it said to press any key, enter for example, that didn't work either. So maybe I'm wrong but it makes sense to me that the two needed to be done together.

When I am going to do the startup repair, do I have to do it in safe mode or should I select start windows normally?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #34 on: August 24, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
      If you were able to make it to the Startup Repair Option by the Vista CD, this link will be your guide http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html  follow the instruction from there.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 05:10:01 AM »
      Sorry for some reason I thought you meant to do the actual restore from a different computer. I do know how to enter my service tag and look up the specs and instructions for my computer. It is 8JMJLF1 by the way. And I have pressed F8 as soon as I turn on my computer. Still don't get the startup menu.
      Your laptop:  http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=RC1084719&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525
      It's a Toshiba hard drive
      RM066   Hard Drive, 160G, S2, 9.5, 5.4K, TSHBA-LEO
      http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
      Toshiba does not provide diagnostic tools for hard drives, currently.  Try the Seagate SeaTools.  You will have to burn a CD from an ISO image.  Your sister's netbook probably doesn't have a CD drive?

F8 isn't going to do anything.
      Remove CD, CNTRL-F11 as soon as it starts up.
      You have to keep tapping it, not holding or depressing it.  Hold down CTRL, keep tapping F11.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »
        Your laptop:  http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=RC1084719&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525
        Toshiba does not provide diagnostic tools for hard drives, currently.  Try the Seagate SeaTools.  You will have to burn a CD from an ISO image.  Your sister's netbook probably doesn't have a CD drive?

F8 isn't going to do anything.
        Remove CD, CNTRL-F11 as soon as it starts up.
        You have to keep tapping it, not holding or depressing it.  Hold down CTRL, keep tapping F11.

Um..no..it's a Dell Inspiron 1525. http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?smh=sup&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&k=8JMJLF1&cat=sup

Maybe you got the service tag wrong.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
        Dell "cookies", haven't found a way to delete them all.  Also, I'm on different computers.  I thought the link looked weird, but I tested it 3 times.  Notice, only the end of the link is different.  This should do it:
        http://support.dell.com/support/DPP/Index.aspx?c=us&cs=RC1084719&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=8JMJLF1

...SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525  vs ...ServiceTag=8JMJLF1

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:11 AM »
          So trying to do startup repair. When I get to the System Recovery Options window, it doesn't find my O/S. It says I need to load the drivers. I put my Drivers CD in and I am trying to open it and there doesn't seem to be any files on it. How am I supposed to load the drivers?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #39 on: August 24, 2011, 11:31:41 AM »
          I'm looking at p.42 of the Manual for Vista.  It shouldn't be asking you to load drivers.  The drivers are part of the image.  The image is located on the hard drive.
          See Setup Guide:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1525/en/index.htm

Dell Factory Image Restore
          1. Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press <F8> several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.
          2. Select Repair Your Computer.
          3. The System Recovery Options window appears.
          4. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.
          5. To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.
          6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore. The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.
          NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.
          7. Click Next. The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
          NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.
          8. Click the checkbox to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory
          condition, then click Next.
          The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
          9. Click Finish to reboot the system.

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »
            I'm looking at p.42 of the Manual for Vista.  It shouldn't be asking you to load drivers.  The drivers are part of the image.

Dell Factory Image Restore
            1. Turn on the computer. When the Dell logo appears, press <F8> several times to access the Vista Advanced Boot Options Window.
            2. Select Repair Your Computer.
            3. The System Recovery Options window appears.
            4. Select a keyboard layout and click Next.
            5. To access the recovery options, log on as a local user. To access the command prompt, type administrator in the User name field, then click OK.
            6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore. The Dell Factory Image Restore welcome screen appears.
            NOTE: Depending upon your configuration, you may need to select Dell Factory Tools, then Dell Factory Image Restore.
            7. Click Next. The Confirm Data Deletion screen appears.
            NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with Factory Image Restore, click Cancel.
            8. Click the checkbox to confirm that you want to continue reformatting the hard drive and restoring the system software to the factory
            condition, then click Next.
            The restore process begins and may take five or more minutes to complete. A message appears when the operating system and factory-installed applications have been restored to factory condition.
            9. Click Finish to reboot the system.
            This is all to get it back to factory settings and that will wipe my hard drive? I am still tying to avoid that and just want to do a repair.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
            Yes, that will "wipe" your hard drive.
            If it's not booting to Windows, I don't know how to do a Vista Repair on your Dell laptop.
            Right now, it's not doing anything.  Do you want a working computer or a dead computer?
            Next time, back up all your stuff on flash drives and external USB drives.  Lesson learned?
            Image Restore may not work either, if the HD is bad.  It may be bad anyway, & the restore will only last a few hrs.
            I told you to test the hard drive.

Another option is to get a new hard drive & start from scratch.  Then hope you can get your stuff from the old drive at a later date.
            320GB hard drives are about $50, USB case for the old drive about $20.
            « Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:55:58 AM by Computer_Commando »

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »
              Yes I want a working computer. I do have most of my pictures on an external hard drive, which is good, but not everything and no other files. If it's possible that I could get the stuff from my drive at a later date, why can't I get it now??

How do I test the hard drive? F12 and diagnostics? Right now it is doing a memory test.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
              http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/seatooldreg
              Legacy Versions; SeaTools for DOS Version; ISO CD-ROM Image

...If it's possible that I could get the stuff from my drive at a later date, why can't I get it now??
              How do I test the hard drive? F12 and diagnostics? Right now it is doing a memory test...
              Because the hard drive won't boot Windows.
              I thought you did memory test before?

Andrea4

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2011, 12:42:40 PM »
                Again, it's not a Toshiba. After my Dell Inspiron 1525 did the memory test I saw an option to do a diagnostics test. I did an express test and it said all tests passed. I'm not sure if this is the same as going into F12 and doing it that wasy but it said it was testing the hard drive. Does this mean my hard drive is ok?