Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Fallout 3 freezing  (Read 5185 times)

nitelife2989

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
    Fallout 3 freezing
    « on: August 23, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
    Ive installed and reinstalled fallout 3 four times now and i keep having trouble with certian areas like abandoned houses and sewers where my game just freezes. ive tried the graphics on low, med and high and they all freeze in the same area. I know its not my PC over heating cause ive watched the temps.

Im at a loss here and would like to finish playing this game.
    Thx in advance for any help

PC specs,
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Video card- 250gtx nvidia
    RAM= 6GB ddr3
    HDD- 1TB
    Cpu-I5 750 @2.67 Ghz
    Psu- 700W
    monitor- 32 inch (TV used as a monitor)

geek hoodlum

Apprentice
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Fallout 3 freezing
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:41:52 PM »
    Video card- 250gtx nvidia
    Can you state also your video card memory? How much VC memory do you have?

Also, is your Fallout 3 is a genuine or just a crack? Not sure, but illegal copy of software are the most problematic. Like my Left 4 Dead 2, it freezes in certain areas/map. (Just my two cents)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:05:07 PM »
    Honestly, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas are the buggiest and crashiest games I have ever had the liberty to play for 20 minutes at a time.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:04:48 AM »
    I know that FO and FO:NV were a pain on my machine until I installed a mid-high end audio card (X-Fi Titanium PCI-e) with EAX and switched the card to game mode. if you don't have one of these, try disabling your sound adapter in device manager (not uninstall, disable) and see if it crashes with no sound.

nitelife2989

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
      The 250GTX video card has 1GB MEM

This is a legal copy purchased off of Steam. ( digital copy only)

Im trying the suggestion to disable my sound adapter ill post with my findings.

I have to agree that Oblivion and fallout 3 have been the buggiest games that i can remember.
      i was  looking forward to Fallout New Vegas but if its as biggie as the original i might not even buy it.

nitelife2989

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 05:30:27 PM »
        Ok i tried to disable the sound and Fallout 3 kept giving me a error message saying (no sound device detected, cannot play fallout 3)

JoeKkerr

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »
          I'll explain...

first, I think you added the lines in the shortcut of MaximizeWindow...

remember if you did set your game resolution at 1024 x 768, the Windows Desktop resolution should be at 1024 x 768

now right click on MaximizeWindow shortcut and click properties, in "target" box, the last line should be this : \MaximizedWindow.exe"

what you need to do is this \MaximizedWindow.exe" 10 1280 1024

10 : is the timeout (the game won't maximized until the dos box disappears)

1280 and 1024 are the resolution set to make the windowed disappear (it should be set a one res higher)

so if your game res is 1280 x 1024, your Desktop res should be the same, and you will write the next big res in the MaximizedWindow shortcut...

to launch the game, first click on the game shortcut, the menu should appear, go to options and select Windowed mode...

when you want to click on play, launch MaximizedWindow shortcut and then click play, depending on the timeout you gave the program to close the window mode will disappear.

of course every time you need to launch Fallout 3, you should launch MaximizedWindow before it, it could be a pain in the *** but it helps

Good Luck

Source : http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f59/solved-fallout-3-randomly-freezing-344608.html
          Some people like my advice so much that they frame it on wall instead of using it !