Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Trying to get data off old hard drive.  (Read 2468 times)

pdlstl

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Trying to get data off old hard drive.
    « on: August 23, 2011, 11:46:39 AM »
    Hi, new member here who is hoping someone can shed some light on an issue I'm having.

Yesterday I pulled a hard drive out of an old computer and put it in an external USB enclosure to move data to a new computer.

Before doing so I ran an antivirus scan to make sure I wasn't moving anything nasty to the new computer. It did detect two viruses which I told it to repair when prompted.

The drive showed up just fine in my removable devices as an HP Maxtor Drive F, and showed up in My Computer as Drive F.

I then proceeded to transfer files for approximately 4 hours with success. Later last night I realized I had forgotten to move some files. I plugged it back in and from that point forward, the drive shows up in my removable devices as simply a USB Mass Storage Device. In the Hardware Profile (in Device Manager) it shows both of the internal hard drives and the Maxtor drive which is in the external USB enclosure.

However, it does not see/recognize the Maxtor in My Computer. I have no drive F. Only the internal hard drives.

Any ideas?

Thank you, Earl

pdlstl

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Trying to get data off old hard drive.
      « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:48:47 AM »
      BTW, I'm running XP and the old machine was XP.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:57:17 PM »
      Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
      To get there rite clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
      Rite clik the drive and select Properties...if it says RAW it was unplugged prematurely and your data may be gone...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »
      If it says RAW you might be able to use testdisk to recreate the partition and recover the data that was on the partition:
      www.[font=arial, helvetica, 'bitstream vera sans', clean, sans-serif]cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk[/font]
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

pdlstl

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
        Before I saw your responses I did look in Disk Management and it was showing that drive was unallocated. Well, I knew this meant the partition was lost or gone.

I downloaded a neat little freebie (free for home use) called Partition Wizard http://www.partitionwizard.com/. With this I was able to rebuild the partition and everything is fine now.

Thanks for your responses and I know this great forum bookmarked!!!

Earl

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 02:23:24 PM »
        Good news indeed...
        Glad to hear Partition Wizard got the job done...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "