Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive not recoginized  (Read 3585 times)

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Hard drive not recoginized
    « on: August 20, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
    My sister has a 2TB external hard drive connected via USB.  After she reloaded Vista, the computer doesn't fully recognize it.  The drive boots up and spins.  No weird sounds.  It appears in Device Manager with no problem.  Disk Management says it needs to be initialized.  It was working fine before she reloaded Vista.

My first thought is something is wrong with her computer and not the external drive.  I've asked her to check the drive on another computer.

She checked the drivers and they seem ok.  When she first installed it, Vista already had the drivers.  There was no need for a special CD or searching the internet.

If the problem ends up being the drive, I read some where that maybe it's just the MBR needs fixing.  Would I use disk check or maybe Disk Doctor or a similar program?  She has a lot of files on it and doesn't want to initialize and format the drive.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Hard drive not recoginized
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:59:31 PM »
    What brand/model is the 2TB hard drive? How was the other computer recognizing the drive? Did you try looking for the removable device by opening up Windows explorer(My Computer)? Try using other USB ports. Also, you could try purchasing a Dual USB data cable or borrowing one. Had this problem before on a portable drive and the dual usb cable solved my issue. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:02:41 AM »
    Does Disk Management show it as RAW ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
    unless you were trying to boot from the external hard drive I wouldn't recommend doing any partition info editing on the external hard drive, considering that Windows is not reading the partition properly. The MBR is the Master Boot Record which directs the system to boot from the drive in question.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    [Testdisk] was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions... from the above website.[/size]
    What you might be experiencing is a "lost partition," which can occur when the hard drive is plugged out during data transfer.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:06:05 PM »
      My sister tried it on another computer.  The same problem occured.  So it's the hard drive and not the computer.  She says she always safely ejected the drive and never dropped it.  She's dropping it off Wednesday.  I'll take a further look at it.

When she installed it on a new computer, the computer installed the driver, showed it in Device Manager and Disk Management, but it's not visible in Explorer. 

The drive is used for data storage.  It is not a boot drive.  It's not visible in Windows Explorer.  Other USB ports and cables were attempted.  It's a Western Digital Green wd10eacs-00zjb0.  I have several other WD Green's that haven't had a problem, except the one I dropped.  There was not a known virus problem.

What is a dual USB cable?

Disk management shows it needs to be initialized, not RAW.  I've initialized new drives before.

Should I use TestDisk instead of chkdsk?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:12:29 PM »
      My sister has a 2TB external hard drive connected via USB
      If this drive was designed as an internal(SATA/IDE) but instead being use mainly as a portable drive by enclosure, I would seek first connecting it by designed to retrieve the documents.

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:27:17 PM »
        It was an IDE drive. I don't see how that has anything to do with it not working, but I will try it as an IDE drive. It was working fine before, sat on the shelf, then stopped working. Maybe ESD shock.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:38 PM »
        It was an IDE drive
        You still have an option.  :) The first priority here is to recover the files. If it happens that everything went fine by connecting it internally, create a backup plan sooner. It has to be power issue on the enclosures, hopefully. Good Luck!

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:04:33 PM »
          Ehh, enclosure? I'm a cheap azz. I gave her one of those cheap cables that power the HD. They aren't the most reliable. That gives me some more ideas.  The IDE to USB cable could be upside down.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
          testdisk provides partition recovery options, which are probably useful in this case....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
          Ehh, enclosure? I'm a cheap azz. I gave her one of those cheap cables that power the HD. They aren't the most reliable. That gives me some more ideas.  The IDE to USB cable could be upside down.
          Something like the above link, you mean? you can't put IDE cables in upside down...

I just remembered I had a similar problem with a USB flash drive-wouldn't show up in explorer but was recognized by device manager. I solved it by assigning a drive letter to the drive.

http://tips4pc.com/format%20your%20computer/how_to_label_a_new_hard_drive_or.htm
          In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
          Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
            « Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 11:30:35 AM »
            Yes, that's the type of cable.  If I remember correctly, one of them you can insert upside down.

I talked to my sister some more.  She talked to her kids, and come to find out their youngest did knock the hard drive and it fell to the floor.  You never know with kids.  If we're able to recover the files, I'll replace the hard drive and make a backup.

I should be able to check the drive tonight.  There's a guy a work that has some kind of super-secret software.  He's recovered a failed flash drive for me in the past.  If things are really bad, I'll send it out to recover the data.  It's all of her family photos.  There's no backup.  Any suggestions for companies that can recover data?

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »
            Super -secret ? ? ...Be sure to update us on that...
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

timrob

Topic Starter

Intermediate
              « Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
              Yeah, he's like that.  Weird.

I looked at the drive.  The only thing that would come up was Device Manager.  Disk Management and TestDisk would not see the drive.

Since the files are irreplaceable, I'll look into a hard drive recovery companies.  I've already found a few.

Thanks for everybody's help.