Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow data input  (Read 2534 times)

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Some have no knowledge, others thank God, have.
    Slow data input
    « on: August 26, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »
    Hi People,
                    I need your brain power yet again. I volunteer for an organisation where part of my job involves  inputting information on to a database. As a result of office resources changing almost daily I don't always use the same computer.  On most of the computers I use I can enter information in a field and it will "remember" it when I come to that field again on the next record. For example, when I enter the word "Coventry" in the field, when I get to it again and click into that field the whole word (Coventry) shows underneath the field.  Just like Google "suggestions".

So, here is my problem.  SOME computers don't do that,   meaning I have to enter the whole word each time and that slows down data input.  I assume that there is a little box somewhere in settings that needs a tick putting in it but I haven't got the faintest where it is. As it doesn't do it on all of the computers I use I assume it has to be a computer based problem rather than the Database(which I'm not allowed to change anyway). So, if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.   

Thanks a lot.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Slow data input
      « Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »
      Are you performing the "save" function before you exit the program?truenorth

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »

Are you performing the "save" function before you exit the program?truenorth
        I have to save the record each time before I move on to inputting the the next record so unfortunately that is not the solution.  Thanks for replying though. 

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
          I may be reaching here but i was just wondering about an alternative method that might overcome your problem. Presuming that ALL the computers you use have USB ports. What about storing the template data in it's entirety on a portable flash drive and always doing your modifications from the open window of the data location on the flash drive. Carrying the flash drive to each computer. I presume you are always using the same software when you access and use the data. If this method does offer the solution i would urge that you duplicate the current situation on a 2nd flash drive as data loss has been known to occur on portable flash drives. truenorth

Graham

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »
            Thanks for the reply.  I will have a word with the IT support guy and pass on your suggestions. Your help was much appreciated.