Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AOL 9.0 not connecting to the broadband connection  (Read 3356 times)

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
    AOL 9.0 not connecting to the broadband connection
    « on: September 01, 2011, 06:24:17 AM »
    I am working on an administrator's two machines and have the same problem. She uses the AOL client for email at home and has it installed on the computers in her office. For some reason neither of the office machines will connect to the school's broadband connection using AOL, but they are fine with IE and Firefox. I ran through the settings and could find nothing wrong, the firewall is off and she is in the administrator group on both machines. I know it has to be something in AOL because one machine is running Windows XP Pro and the other is running Windows 7. She can get to aol.com but then she does not have access to all of the stuff from the clients as well as not having it in sorted folders.

Anyone else having this problem or heard of it? Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: AOL 9.0 not connecting to the broadband connection
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 06:31:47 AM »
    ...I know it has to be something in AOL ...Anyone else having this problem or heard of it? Any ideas on a fix?...
    It is AOL.  It comes up on this forum from time to time.  Get rid of AOL.  It's no longer a useful ISP.  I think you have to use the AOL browser with modified connection settings.  Contact AOL, if no acceptable answer, good argument to dump it.

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 10:21:40 AM »
      Well, if it were up to me AOL would be gone. I got rid of my wife's account many years ago and it still annoys me to think of all the hoops I had to go through.

Short of switching to the online version, would upgrading to 9.6 make a difference? I have to ask in case there is any hope if fixing the problem.

Thanks again

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »
      Upgrading will not solve the issue...talk her into dumping AOL as suggested above...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
        Alright, but now I have to see about importing all of her mail, contacts and folders to the online version. Are there settings for that?