Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any fellow WoWers out there :)  (Read 10982 times)

patrcik92777

Any fellow WoWers out there :)
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
sup everyone checkin to see if theres  any world of war craft  players out  there maybe we can start a lil group here i just started on WoW  just went from Dungeons and Dragons :P  to WoW   Big Difference  ;D ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Any fellow WoWers out there :)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:00:10 AM »
sup everyone checkin to see if theres  any world of war craft  players out  there maybe we can start a lil group here i just started on WoW  just went from Dungeons and Dragons :P  to WoW   Big Difference  ;D ;D

Isn't that sort of like going from Nethack to Dwarf Fortress?

With the exception that you don't have to pay monthly for Dwarf Fortress...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »
I been playing wow since beta. Had 2 accts and went down to 1 paid acct and 1 free acct with level 20 cap to save money. If it wasnt for so many friends still playing their 80-85's, I'd just shut off my last paying acct and pvp for free on the free acct to save $180 a year.

themetro

• browsergamez
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:19:56 AM »
I haven't yet got into it, for fear of destroying my social life... :/ Though I have heard there is now a free browser game version (up to lvl 20) available - now that i could handle ;)

Drrwho

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:41:30 AM »
    I've played WoW since release.  Just one account, though I've considered two for various reasons.

I'm a mount collector primarily and a gold maker (legitimately... no botting, ever!).  I have 153 mounts currently and slowly adding more as time goes on.  I also had a million gold a short while ago, but then I bought a Swift Spectral Tiger on the AH and yea... no longer have a million gold  :P

Lately I've mostly just done some PvP (as a resto druid) and various other things.  I've taken a little break from raiding (as a resto druid also)... I was just getting burned out from it and needed some time away.  Not sure if I will go back to raiding or not.  Heck, when Diablo 3 comes out, I don't know if I'll keep playing WoW or not yet. 

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 08:39:58 PM »
    I have 153 mounts currently and slowly adding more as time goes on.

On a single character?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
    This is my mount:

I call him Pinkie Pig. Those who understand the reference based on a single letter change- *BROHOOF*.

yeah, I've got a snazzy look with my diamond armor, but I thought, what's cooler than strolling through town in diamond armor?

Strolling through town in diamond armor on a pig, of course! Warranted, he sort of has a mind of his own, and you can't control him, so I just sort of flit around randomly. But I look  good doing it.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:13:54 PM »
    BC.... LOL and awesome post... I have yet to play around with minecraft. I am guessing that its like building lego's everwhere, that are more dynamic than static

I also had a million gold a short while ago
    Drwho.... From reading up on wows internals, the max gold was 400,000. So unless blizzard made a change to modern wow to raise the ceiling cap, it should still be 400,000 which is hard coded into the source. Are you sure it wasnt 100,000 gold? Which is still a sweet chunk of change!

I can see in the stats section where it can show greater than 400,000 gold made etc in the auction house since I am unaware of a cap on that value.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
    BC.... LOL and awesome post... I have yet to play around with minecraft. I am guessing that its like building lego's everwhere, that are more dynamic than static
    Minecraft downright rules. I'm actually playing a leaked prerelease of the adventure update atm. (not in the screenshot there, that was on a server). I've definitely got my money's worth

If you are going to try- remember that the free (creative) mode, is completely different from the Beta/Survival version. I dislike creative mode. (and now to make things even more confusing, 1.8 adds a creative mode to the survival game).

Now, this topic is about WarCraft, and not MineCraft, but, it's still a XXXcraft so... close enough, I suppose.

What makes minecraft interesting is that I first played it with the intention of seeing how stupid it was. Sort of like what happened with me and My Little Pony:FIM. I've now had the game since last December, and play it rather frequently- in fact, it's nearly the only game I play nowadays.

And now more screenshots of the newer version! I just started a entirely new world to explore it's features. The idea for me was to release a youtube video when 1.8 was released and my copy of 1.7.3 updates, but somebody on their testing team apparently leaked a pre-release version of it. Notch (original creator of the game) doesn't mind if we give it a go, as long as we shuddap about complaints since it's obviously not done. So, anyway, I started and punched a few trees for valuable wood, created some basic tools (wooden pick, grab some stone, stone axe, stone pick) and then wandered off into the distance. I killed a few cows and pigs that were looking at me the wrong way and took their delicious steak (that's new!) and pork chops.

No idea why I took a screenshot of this. the archway looked pretty cool I guess. Did I mention that Minecraft terrain is generated randomly as you travel? limitless possibilities. The only "new" 1.8 feature you can see there would be the tiny piece of vine you can see in the hole in the ground of the arch (there is a tree there as well).

As I travelled, I discovered many interesting things. Killed more innocent creatures for their delicious steaks and pork chops. then I found a nice hole in a mountain and made a little crap-shack there. By this time, it was sunset. As I looked out over the terrain I covered, I couldn't help but enjoy the view. And also be tempted to go kill the cows for no reason. And yes that archway is the same one shown in the first screenshot.

And then, night fell upon the land of... minecraftia... or whatever it is, and I made another screenshot:

I also noticed one of the new enemies after I fell down a hole into an underground cavern. I wandered around in the dark for a bit before realizing I ought to craft some torches, then there was a huge hole. I looked down the hole to see a few zombies having out on a ledge below (not the new enemy) I guess they found me interesting because they tried to get me, and subsequently fell to their gruesome deaths in the lava below.

Then I noticed a cave on the opposite side of the hole, with a large, black skinny thing holding a stone block with green eyes. Apparently they are "docile" and wander around like imbeciles unless you look at them. Then they lose it. Of course I couldn't help but look at him, because- he just looked so goofy. Apparently he is supposed to be scary. I can see him (it's called an "Enderman") being scary to those with a fear of clowns. Anyway, so I looked at him, he got self-conscious and wanted to kill me, and in his haste forgot about the hole, I guess, and plummeted to his death in the lava below.

as I write this, I think some of his relatives are here for revenge, because there are a few of the buggers having around my filthy hovel.

So I created the ultimate defense weapon! I added a DOOR to my house.

If you can't tell yet, I cannot praise this game enough. Best game I've ever played in my life, and that is coming from somebody past the initial "OMG this game rules" euphoria.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:34:58 PM »
    Drwho.... From reading up on wows internals, the max gold was 400,000. So unless blizzard made a change to modern wow to raise the ceiling cap, it should still be 400,000 which is hard coded into the source. Are you sure it wasnt 100,000 gold? Which is still a sweet chunk of change!

I can see in the stats section where it can show greater than 400,000 gold made etc in the auction house since I am unaware of a cap on that value.

The original gold cap was 214,748g 36s 47c (or 2,147,483,647 copper) (such an odd number because at the time, Blizzard stored player gold as a 32-bit integer from what I've read.

As of 4.0.1 this was changed and the gold cap is 999,999g 999s 999c now (just one copper short of 1,000,000g). It was changed some time ago, but not sure exactly when. However, there are few players who have actually achieved this. (The gold cap is per character, not account.)

Trial accounts characters are limited to a mere 10g.

People make a lot of exaggerated claims. Even if a person were to get every single mount available and were a Paladin (3 class mounts) Tailor (3 profession mounts) and Engineer (2 profession mounts) and got every single trading card game mount, faction mount, dropped mount, buyable mount, Recruit-a-friend mount, etc. the total is 152 ground and flying mounts on either side of the fence (Horde or Alliance) on a single character. There are over 200 mounts in game, but only 152 available to any given character, and that even includes mounts that are no longer available (Argent Tourney mounts, Brewfest mount, etc.).

On a side note, there are also only 207 vanity pets, a number of which are rather difficult to get or no longer available. For example, Baby Blizzard Bear (4th anniversary pet), Collector's Edition pets (Panda, Zergling, Mini Diablo, Netherwhelp, Frosty, and Lil' Deathwing which are available if you can find an unused Collector's Edition (looking at about $130 still factory wrapped), Mr. Chilly (Battle.net/WoW account merger, no longer available), and a bunch more that are no longer available or just too hard to find.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
    The important question of course is, whether out of all the mounts in WoW... can you ride a pig?

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    « Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
    Pig, no. Sounds like a good idea though. Barrens Battle Boar!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »
    Pig, no. Sounds like a good idea though. Barrens Battle Boar!

Well there you go then. I mean, yeah, it might be cool to ride manticores, dragons, pegasus, Twilight Sparkle, or fire-breathing black stallions, but when it comes down to the basics, you'll need minecraft if you want to stick a saddle on a pig and have absolutely no control over where it goes. Some people might go, well, "Sow what!", possibly groaning at using a pun that I would use and rethinking any previous self-assessment that they are sane as a result. But it's sort of like operating systems, it's all about choice. And some people like to ride speedy dragons or pegasi or purple magic unicorns who like to read, and others prefer to hunt through dungeons to find a saddle to stick on a pig they have no control over.

Compare this to the previous pig image.

THEY HAVE SNOUTS NOW. this changes EVERYTHING. The entire dynamic of the game is completely changed. Unfortunately having just started that world I had no saddle with which to make him my trusty steed, so I just killed him. It was heartbreaking, having to chase him all over the place and beat the poor thing to death with seeds. I was crying the whole time. In a manly way of course, as one would if they were forced to kill a pig they had just befriended. What made it worse was that they added in code that made the animals actually try to run away when you started to pummel them, rather then stand there and look at you in a confused way. naturally the first reaction a player ought to have is "I know, I'll make a giant machine designed to allow pigs to spawn and then they fall into a water stream that guides them to their grisly deaths, and I get their delicious pork chops." Of course cows and sheep fall in the machine as well, but I guess that's just collateral damage. And free wool & leather, too.

So when you next play wow, ask yourself- Does this game have pigs? And more precisely, do those pigs have SNOUTS? and can you create terrible grisly machines designed solely for killing innocent creatures? I Didn't think so.

P.S I've not played WoW, if that isn't immediately obvious. I'm pretty sure there is a hard limit on how many games a person can play with "craft" on the end before they ought to get checked for aspergers. I'm trying to keep that number to a bare minimum.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 05:35:48 PM »
    I also agree to that they should add a boar mount, they can even use the HE-Double Hockey Stick ( 4 letter is censored) Boar for a Warlock mount with the spikes.

BC that is cool about the maps being random for what is out of view, but i guess that means that you never go back to where you came from. In all directions its ever changing.

There was a cool concept I saw at I think it was an episode of LabRats where a guy squeezed an altered version of Minecraft to run stand alone on a thumb drive, and the person who plays the game on that single drive had only 1 life and could not tell others about their experience to warn about anything. The Thumb drive was to be passed around where anything added by the previous player(s) would remain, and you were to play it in an unknown world with unknown challenges. The first recipient of this USB Minecraft stand alone was a guy in a wheelchair at a gaming convention. It was later found out that the guy wasnt disabled, but only had a broken leg, but I guess he was the first to play it and pass it on. The guy who programmed it up was from New Mexico some small town. I havent heard anything further on this, but I could see someone passing around a fake with a rootkit on it as a good way to spread an infection. This guy who put the game together on the thumb drive won some sort of an award for most creative concept or something like that.

I wish they implemented randomness in wow so its not the same old grind, but more specifically AI to it that makes the game smarter and more challenging. How about the landscape being the same or suttle changes in the towns were buildings and destroyed and rebuilt differently and where every cabin wasnt designed by the same designer throughout the land where bedrooms etc are always in the same location etc. The biggest thing that gets me is that the game is suppose to be World of Warcraft which is a round planet with outlands being an alternate section floating in space or nether. Well if its round then they should have Daylight on one continent and moonlight on the other. And the realm time should be the timezone for the area you are in. Playing the game for example the same time of day or nite for a while gives you sort of alaska syndrome where you want to see night time or daylight after 3 weeks of playing days or nights, and you could just go to a different continent to keep the balance.

But as far as AI goes, I would like to have it more realistic than where you are standing 20 feet away from the PVE enemy and they are clueless to your location. They should add scripts of aggression or fear that are random among the AI of each monster's existance which could even be level controlled to where is a 85 trots in on a mount around a bunch of level 10 PVE monsters they act like OMG.... RUN in fear. Yet if you are level 20 just got your mount and run in within viewing distance of a mob of 30's, they all charge at you instead of the current aggro ring around your toon where where you have to impede on their bubble to aggro them and in the case of an 85 you pretty much have to walk completely thru a level 30 to make it upset with you. I would liek to see especially in dungeons where they add AI smarts to everything in it, traps that change with trigger points in floors etc, so you feel more like Indiana Jones going through a booby trapped temple for the first time with an enemy that can be anywhere and posess any types of skills either physical or magical to give you a fun and tough fight. The current dungeon grind is too linear and predictable and in the case of randoms the group always goes on the shortest path to the final boss for the bag or points and only goes for alt bosses if they need a specific gear drop.

I'd like in the outside of dungeons in the environment for you to have to be sneaky and view monsters and enemy from a distance. They have a looking glass that you can use to see stuff in the distance, yet this hasnt been used to its potential capability. Engineers make them and they are merely just a toy to play with that many dont use for any battle strategy. If they implemented an ability to hide behind trees for example and look out and hide back behind the tree with the chance that you can pop your head out and look and the monster may be facing the other way in which you got info on its location and it is clueless to your presence, and yet if you pop your head out and its viewing in your direction it can decide using the AI given to it to attack you or notify others in which your up against 1 in a fight or it has gotten reinforcements and you have to run your ... off to avoid dying. Rogues, Druids in cat form prowling, Hunters with eyes of the beast, and Warlocks with the green eyeball that they can use would be extremely beneficial to intelligence gathering. Also Priests could use the mind vision I think its called to look through the eyes of the enemy to look around corners etc.

So much could be changed for the better of playability. If I had the ability to create my own game, that is how I'd make it. Not a Hello Kitty easy game, but one that you have to Earn your Rank in the game vs just grind enough to get the drops in a manner that doesnt use your creativity. Thank God they have PVP so i can play against intelligent objects that can really make you say, even though thats the enemy and they killed me, That was a Good Move!!! And learn from others creativity as well as let others learn from your creativity!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
    BC that is cool about the maps being random for what is out of view, but i guess that means that you never go back to where you can from. In all directions its ever changing.
    No, it's not like that at all. Once you've visited somewhere, it stays that way. if you build a house somewhere, and then leave, go hundreds of miles away, etc, it'll still be there when you come back. For example, the first world I created in Alpha 1.2.5, I still have- and I have all sorts of houses all over the place that I can still visit. Of course I also discovered inventory editors and went freaking nuts with them so I've got chests filled with blocks of pure diamond all over the place.

Basically, since you can't store infinite data on disk, the game will just generate the terrain when it first needs to be loaded; that is, it will try to load the chunk by loading a file, but if it can't find it it will generate it anew.

As for portable minecraft, that's been around since InDev, not sure if that is what you are referring to, but iirc it was just a simple batch/shell script to launch the game jar file. the forums have "pass it on" worlds as well, which of course avoids the physical requirement of a flash drive.