Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME  (Read 2390 times)

tdesign

Windows ME
« on: August 31, 2005, 08:29:54 AM »
We have a Windows ME that won't even boot up properly.  I have run all the antispyware programs and tried to clean it but it freezes no matter what I do. The provider told me there was a restore feature in one of the Function keys but couldn't remember which one.  Any ideas?

merlin_2

Re: Windows ME
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 04:21:37 PM »
what is the make of this pc............. :)

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 07:32:01 PM »
Design:

Please explain what you mean by "won't even boot up properly".  Do you mean the computer fails to respond before you see the Windows desktop?  If so, when does it hang? (before or after the Starting Windows logo appears)?

Do you hear any beeps?  If so, how many long beeps and how many short ones?

Do you see any error messages displayed?  If so, what do they say?

Do you have any guess what may have caused the problem?

Doc

tdesigns

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 06:25:48 AM »
It is an IBM NetVista

tdesigns

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 06:30:44 AM »
The computer will sometimes come all the way up and the Windows desktop will look normal.  I have run several spyware checks on it and attempted to clean it and run a virus scan. It usually cannot finish anything that you start on it without freezing.  Yesterday I attempted to do a system restore but it got stuck about 2/3 the way through and I had to cut it off.  

We really want to just use the computer for word processing but can't even get it to that point.  I have attempted removing any extra programs/games/ etc with no luck.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 11:23:06 AM »
How old is it? Have you run a memory diagnostic diskette such as MemTest86 overnight to see if there are any errors, or have you tried the simple expedient of re-seating the RAM modules?

Do you have a Windows ME bootdisk? Can you get to the A:\> prompt and run:

A:\>scandisk /all /surface, or...

A:\>scanreg /fix /opt

Have you tried using the freeware program CCLeaner to clean out all of the junk files, especially the index.dat files. These can cause problems if not flushed from time to time.

How much RAM does the system have? ME can use up to 512 MB effectively before you need to think about moving up to XP.

(XP can use up to 4.0 GB of RAM).

RAM Knowledge Base
RAM And What it Does
RAM Virtual Memory Paging
RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Processor Temperatures
Service Pack Slipstreamer
Power Supply Wattage Calculator
Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program

EmpTemp
CCLeaner
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 11:26:43 AM by Mac »