Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Troubleshooting Help  (Read 2318 times)

Endless1221

Computer Troubleshooting Help
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
I've Had my computer for a less than a year now, but last night, my sister's friend cut the breaker switch as a joke, and since I've noticed a few things happening. First off, I can only start the computer effectively when its on its side(Motherboard Facing Upward). It is chancy when starting Right-side Up. After the power came on, i put the computer into the Right-side Up position, but then during gaming, it tends to stop working, power is still running to the computer, but it will not put power out to mouse/keyboard, and display stops. Currently I'm testing keeping the computer on its side to stop the effects entirely. This seems to be working, but I'm not sure it will be a permanent solution. I know the problem is hardware and I've come down to it being likely the power supply or the HDD, but I'm not exactly sure what would be the direct issue to deal with. Input is appreciated.

truenorth

Guru

Re: Computer Troubleshooting Help
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
    If it is still under warranty exercise that option. If it is still under warranty be careful what you fiddle with as it may provide the excuse to void your warranty.truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »
    I'm with TN on this one.  If it's less than a year old, use your warranty rights.  However, if you can determine what is wrong, it makes it a lot easier making a claim.  Since it works in one orientation & not another, see if the PSU fan is spinning; it should be spinning 100% of the time.  You might check the CPU fan, too.  BTW, turning off the breaker should have no effect on any hardware.  However, if the hard drive was in the midst of writing, you could have data corruption.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
    That was really not an acceptable way of making a joke with circuit breakers.   

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 08:20:14 AM »
    Where's the joke?

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner