Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to format XP Home  (Read 4077 times)

Adam Schindler

How to format XP Home
« on: August 31, 2005, 05:24:41 PM »
Hello,

I have Windows XP Home Edition, and I'd like to format my hard drive. The problem I have is whenever I try to, it says something about windows still being open, yet I don't know how to go into DOS(other than going to run and typing in cmd, which still leaves windows open at the same time).

If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated.

-Adam

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Re: How to format XP Home
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 07:02:17 PM »
    The best way to format your drive is to change your BIOS to boot from CD then place your Windows XP Home disk into the drive and restart when prompted press any key to boot from CD you are then on the way follow the prompts.
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 07:42:04 PM »
    Adam:

Ojas is right on.  

Also, keep in mind (and you may already know this) that reformatting your hard drive will delete any files you have saved to the hard drive (such as those saved in your My Documents folder).  So, burn any important files to a CD or DVD before you reformat and reinstall Windows XP.

Regards,
    Doc

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 09:36:31 PM »
      The best way to format your drive is to change your BIOS to boot from CD

And if you're not sure how to do this, let us know.  :)
      There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 10:07:36 PM »
        Simply stating you cannot format a disk from which are booting.

Put in a bootable CD or add a bootable disk.
        Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Adam Schindler

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 01:45:33 AM »
        Thank you guys alot, I've never had problems formatting on my computer, but we couldn't figure it out on my friend's computer. I'll tell him that solution, which I'm pretty sure will work.

"Simply stating you cannot format a disk from which are booting. " <<I never realized this, so that was my problem.

pcdoc4christ and Hopester Doofus, it's people like you who are legends. To deal with the seemingly obvious that if even one person hadn't realized, it would help them out alot.

This has got to be my favorite group of forum people I've talked to(just based off this first impression).

Thanks again,
        Adam