Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Internet Explorer Does Not Work Properly  (Read 4542 times)

AJArmstron

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Internet Explorer Does Not Work Properly
    « on: September 05, 2011, 08:50:12 PM »
    Hi.  I hope someone can help me with this problem.

About last week Internet Explorer (8.0) stopped working properly on the two main computers in our house.  To be precise the home page loads, but you cannot load any other new pages (unless you choose an open in new tab pane and then the new tab pane works fine!)  We are using Windows XP and McAfee software.

What happens is when you click to get onto a new page a message is shown that the browser is awaiting for the webpage (of where you want to go) to load.  However, the page does not open and a message is shown saying there is an error and the tab has been recovered.  Occasionally the browser crashes and sometimes some text appears in the URL such as:
    res://ieframe.dll/acr_error.htm#aol.co.uk,http://www.aol.co.uk/

This is mysterious as other browsers Firefox and Chrome work fine.  Furthermore I used a laptop which had not been switched on for say two months and this works fine with Internet Explorer 8.0!  My Smartphone also works fine; although I note that when I got it this was the time that problems with Internet Explorer started (but I suspect this could be a complete "red herring").

I would be very grateful for any comments as to what I should try to do to solve this problem.  I have tried uninstalling Internet Explorer and reinstalling.  I have also heavily virus scanned the computers!  What do I do next!!??

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.

AJArmstron

Topic Starter

Re: Internet Explorer Does Not Work Properly
      « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:09:29 PM »
      jason2074 - thank you very much for taking the time to reply.  I am pleased to state that I managed to get Internet Explorer 8.0 working again.

I followed the link given, but none of the actions suggested worked (disabling two options in the options tab - one to "launch programs and files in an iFrame" and second to use "web sites in less privileged Web content zones can navigate into this zone").  Neither of these made any difference.  However, what I did was to reset the browser and I am pleased to say the browsers are working again! So, it seems uninstalling and reinstalling Internet Explorer does not have the same affect as just doing a settings reset!

It seems odd that more than one computer in a household used by different people have had the same problem.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

freeforall

• *Bugmenot user*

• Beginner

• Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Familiar
        Re: Internet Explorer Does Not Work Properly
        « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »
        I don't know why people use Internet Explorer. Whenever I use IE I just stuck it with. It slow down browsing.