Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to run Win 7 in normal mode  (Read 3068 times)

aqj

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Unable to run Win 7 in normal mode
    « on: September 07, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »
    When I load into Normal mode my computer freezes after it shows the Windows logo.

My computer is running Widows 7 Professional 32 bit
    My processor is AMD Athalon 64 3700+

I have run chkdsk from the command prompt.
    I have run sfc /scannow
    I have run msconfig and done a selective start-up plus disabled all start up tab items.

None of the above stopped the lock up problem.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Unable to run Win 7 in normal mode
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
    1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Did you run chkdsk or did you run chkdsk /r? If only the former, re-run it with the /r switch. It doesn't sound like a hd problem, but let's rule it out.

3) I'm guessing you can boot to safe mode? If so, here's the CORRECT way to do a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem. After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:30:35 PM »
    Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration from the advanced startup screen?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »
    I suspect the PC doesn't meet Win7 requirements...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

aqj

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »
      More info:

This computer was running XP. I did a clean install of Win7 and everything worked fine for 3 weeks. Then the computer would freeze every couple of days with the running time getting progressively shorter until now when it can't get passed the logo stage in normal mode. It works perfectly in safe mode with networking.
      I ran chkdsk /r.
      I ran msconfig and disabled all the start items in the startup tab and I set selective startup in the general tab but I couldn't uncheck the greyed out third box use original boot.
      I do not have a clean restore point to roll back to.