Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound from my computer anymore  (Read 4475 times)

Sarm Gurnyth

No sound from my computer anymore
« on: September 01, 2005, 05:38:39 PM »
(I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum.  I'm completely dumbfounded as to what the problem is)

I have recently pulled my computer out of a moving box and hooked it up again, and I have discovered that no sound whatsoever plays on my computer.  Nothing from typical Windows beeps to music.  My speakers were plugged in, I made sure the volume was set very high (on both the computer and speakers) as well as doublechecking to be certain that Mute wasn't enabled.  I even grabbed a pair of headphones to make sure the problem wasn't from the speakers themselves.  Still no sound.

I checked the sound drivers, and my computer claims they're all working perfectly.  In the Control Panel area, nothing sound-related is disabled or reported to have a problem.  This gives me absolutely nothing to go on for finding the source of the problem myself.
(It's not like I could get successful results in a search engine when I have no "symptoms" to look up for a problem)

My operating system is Windows XP, if that's necessary.

I'm sorry that I have no real information to share about my problem, but on the slim chance that someone might have had a similar situation, I would appreciate any help that can be offered.

pcdoc4christ

Re: No sound from my computer anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 07:21:42 PM »
Sarm:

Are you sure the speakers are connected to the correct jack of your sound card/motherboard?  Also, is the power LED on one of the speakers lit?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 07:25:16 PM by pcdoc4christ »

Sarm

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »
Yeah.  The power is lit and they're plugged into the correct hole in the back.  I checked again just now to be certain.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 07:12:42 AM »
The soundcard may not be properly seated.

Mac

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 03:17:51 PM »
The soundcard may not be properly seated.

Quite likely and what happened to me, especially if the computer was laid on the L/H side with the mainboard at the top.

Pull out the power and take proper anti-static precautions before handling any of the cards and don't use excessive pressure otherwise you can crack the mainboard.

Check that there are no other loose cables inside.

Sarm Gurnyth

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »
My level of stupidity is only rivaled by your helpfulness.

It turns out that the sound card WAS properly positioned, nor were there any loose cords.  But after opening it up, I realized that the "sound holes" that I was plugging the speakers into never reached the card.

In my haste to unpack my computer, I forgot that I had two sets of those holes.  What makes it worse is the fact that I put the sound card in myself several months before, so if anybody knew about the extra sound holes, it would have been me (since I put them there).

This mistake of mine would have ended up more costly and embarassing, as I was under the assumption that I would need to purchase another card to replace the one I thought was broken.  If I were not seperated by a computer and the fear of harassment charges, I'd hug you guys.  :)

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
No problem, glad it's something simple.

Mac

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 04:00:24 AM »
Nice reply. Pleased to hear that it was something easily remedied after all.

Just another bad case of 'holiness'. ;D

hooooosierdaddy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 04:18:48 PM »
 >:(  i have same problem as 1st post above - HELP!!

speakers all plugged in, recently re-formatted to rid a virus, but no sound at all.... have Windows 98 (plain), no sound icon in bottom right of bar (media players "appears" to play visually, but not audio-wise!!

ARRRGGG.  Do have a "configuration error in LINE 10 that shows up" ever-so-BRIEFLY when I start up my computer but goes so fast I can't read it.....then windows starts up.  

Tried device manager, etc, but have no device set up... what do I do to "Set it up?  I mean...all's I did was re-format (which I've DONE before) but this time...NO SOUND ICON/NO SOUND  !!!   ARRRGGG

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!!!

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 04:23:51 PM »
Install soundcard drivers.

hooooosierdaddy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 04:30:09 PM »
u are talking to am idiot, here (w/respect to computers, anyway)...

"HOW" do I install a sound driver thingy?  (I assume e-thing is just dandy, but when I reformatted, s-thing went awry...)  

Shall i just try to re-format again?....that is a pain...last resort if u have no advice (been living w/o sound for a month now!!)

HELP!! :'(

hooooosierdaddy

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 04:31:58 PM »
ps.  i do not want to open up my computer as i KNOW it's just a mouse-click-ing thing that all I have to do is ACTIVATE my sound device by doing a bunc of mouse-clicks .....

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 04:32:49 PM »

You need to know the following:

• The name of your soundcard
  • The manufacturer of your soundcard
  • The manufacturer its website
  • The operating system you are using

If you need additional information, feel free to post. Or search the forum.