Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Canvio Basics 320GB not accessible from other machines & drives  (Read 4388 times)

AndyCountry

Topic Starter

Rookie

Patio...help!!!

I'm running Win7x64 Home Prem on a Lenovo G550 laptop, 4G, 2.3ghz, 320GB. Plugged a new Toshiba Canvio Basics 320GB usb ext HDD into it, worked great. Swapped HDD's out in the same laptop (to use my OEM Win7 Home Prem distro rather than Lenovo's). I plugged the Canvio in and I was locked out via ACL's. Okay, this IS an NTFS ext drive, so ... not surprising. Log in as Admin, took ownership if the Canvio, formatted the drive and it worked fine. UNTIL I swapped back to the factory Lenovo HDD.

At this juncture the Canvio showed files, but they were from the time when the Canvio ACL's were the factory/original ACL's... not the one's I had "overwritten". THAT was weird.  I was immediately concerned that a problem had just manifested itself and I swapped back to the non-factory HDD with the OEM Win7 on it and suddenly the OS could not access the Canvio - yet it had been doing so just ten minutes earlier.

The "error" message: "E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

Using - Start/Computer/manage/disk management; it shows the drive as E:\ 289GB healthy primary, RAW file system.

Using - My Computer/Properties; it shows the drive being 100% used/full.

I plugged the Canvio into my Dell Inspiron running XP Pro, it gave the same error message: "E:\ not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

Thanks in advance!

AndyCountry

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Toshiba Canvio Basics 320GB not accessible from other machines & drives
      « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 06:57:18 PM »
      UPDATE:

I just switched back to the factory Lenovo HDD, and now IT won't recognize the Canvio ext drive. The 1st error message: "F:\  not accessible. Incorrect parameter".

I unplugged it, re-plugged and from that point on the error message was: "F:\ Not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable".

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:42:03 AM »
      Was there any problems as why you started swapping drives in the first place?

AndyCountry

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:13:37 AM »
        UPDATE #2:

SOLVED! I ran chkdsk E:/r overnight and when I woke up, windows Auto Play window was waiting for me to give it instructions as to what I wanted to do with the drive. I clicked to open folders and a blank window appeared. What a tease!

But I remembered how I had to take ownership (set ACL's) in the past and so, in Computer, I right-clicked the ext drive icon, selected Security tab. This showed that only SYSTEM and Administrators group were listed, but oddly none had any specific permissions assigned. I simply added full control to SYSTEM, deleted Admin group, added my personal Admin account and my "everyday user" account and voila!

All is right with the world that bytes.